• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a 16 year old I had a bsa 650. I managed to seize it up due to stupidity, lack of knowledge and oil and I swapped it for a Norton es2 and 30 quid (my way) from one of the designers at Raleigh. At o

#46. I remember Bob's Spares. I once went there for someone and bought a bronze cylinder head for a 500cc Excelsior Manxman. Cost was five pounds, in late 1950s. The chap (Stu Slater, lived on Minver

Anyone identify this bike?  

Posted Images

Ginger is said to combat nausea and be good for arthritis but I think that refers to root ginger and not ginger flavoured drinks.

As a child, I was offered a chocolate from a rather posh looking box by our elderly next door neighbour. What I didn't realise was that the contents of the box were pieces of stem ginger, dipped in chocolate. The ginger almost burnt my mouth out and from that day to this I've never touched ginger.

It's excellent in a stir fry, especially with ribbons of beef. I know you don't eat meat Jill, but put in with stir fry veg and bean sprouts with a sprinkle of Cashew nuts and 'your'e away'!!

It seems they ceased activities ten years ago. Another memory!

was a bit off beam as their address was Basford. Close but no cigar!

It definitely works with nausea, particularly with migraines and cluster headaches.

On 6/8/2024 at 8:52 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

Ginger is said to combat nausea and be good for arthritis but I think that refers to root ginger and not ginger flavoured drinks.

Stones Original Green Ginger Wine is made from root ginger and as a half and half whisky mac cures almost anything. Enough of them make it a pleasure having a cold or the flu, a few more makes you forget what was wrong with you.

• Like 1

@Oztalgian :- can’t beat proper medicine! 

However, the drink I was referring to, in my opinion was far superior to Stones, which in itself is a good drink.

Maybe the fact it was produced locally helped.

Have wondered if someone came along and purchased the recipe.

Like many things, it seems confined to my memory.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Ah yes, Stones is the proper stuff.  I have tried it in the past but not with whisky. I don't drink spirits.

……and I always thought you were a spiritualist!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Ah yes, Stones is the proper stuff.  I have tried it in the past but not with whisky. I don't drink spirits.

Years ago, a German wine manufacturer was found to have added tiny amounts of antifreeze to sweeten a poor harvest. Within days (just before Christmas) Stones ran their advert. Just a picture of their bottle, with the simple caption "Not suitable for car radiators"

On 6/11/2024 at 7:22 PM, Dark Angel said:

However, the drink I was referring to, in my opinion was far superior to Stones, which in itself is a good drink.

Maybe the fact it was produced locally helped.

Could it have been home made with ginger essence which was available from most chemists and at the CO-OP then?

Kingstons on Wilford St, and Gaggs on Alfreton Road (or Ilkeston Rd). Both still there in the early 70's when I was wrecking bikes as fast as I could mend them. Fred Bunneys rings a bell as per Scriv post. Depends what make of Bike you had I suppose. Recall Joselyns too 

There was also Butlers bike shop on Tamworth Road Long Eaton which did some parts.

Roy Wharton's was where I bought my first ever new bike in about 1968. A curved fronted shop almost on the junction of Wilkinson St/Gauntley Street. Must have been about number 331 or 333 Radford Road. All changed now since they built the 'new' Police Station in the 80's??

• 2 weeks later...

There has been mention of Needhams motor bike shop here several times. Originally it was on Radford Boulevard and latterly Wollaton Road.

I’m saddened to learn that Jim Needham passed away after a short illness early last year. I was good friends with Jim for some years and we’d go out with wife’s as a foursome but eventually drifted apart with work and house moves although I did call on him a few years ago. A very interesting and intelligent man who could turn his hand to many things. Truly shocked at this news. Rest in Peace.