Ayupmeducks

List of Some Companies I Recall.

Dobson at Colwick, that was their hydraulic division, made hydraulic rams and coal face advancing supports, they also had a knitting frame factory on Deering St in the Meadows??

Foraky at Colwick, oil, gas and exploritory drilling company.

Castle Engineering on Castle Blvd.

Went out with a girl in the 60s who worked at 'Richard Stumps' on Haydn rd,anyone remember what they made?..........and don't tell me 'Cricket Bats' lol.

• Upvote 2

# 26, Tony

I spent all my Nottingham working life at Thorn Bendix in New Basford. Soon after I left in 1975 they moved to Blenheim Industrial Estate in Bulwell and not long after that they disappeared into oblivion.

A disappointment for me as the old High Church Street premises was yet another building from my past that doesn't exist anymore. My first home was demolished, along with my Infants School in Netherfield and also my Junior School in Arnold. I have nothing to go and look at to reminisce.

• Upvote 1

#31. Mrs Chulla says that Richard Stump made ladies wear - dresses, etc.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to our site......

Yes Merthyr Imp you're right Meridian was on Haydn Road. I worked for part of the Courtaulds on Nottingham Road, New Basford for a number of years

Ages since I was on here! Memories ... The Arriba Club. Pinewood Camp... Bill Hayley. Johnny Ray... And much much more :)

One point midslady......you seem to be listing clubs and gigs you went to. This thread is about companies which people worked at :cool:

I think your memories would find a better home here. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5684&hl

#31 & #33

Yes Richard Stump were dress makers. I think they were just down Haydn Road on the right hand side from the Nottingham Road end.

Richard Stump Ltd Gown Makers

They were on Haydn Road between Victoria Road & Sceptre Street

Kelly's 1950

#36 Dave was that perhaps Bairnswear corner of Nottingham Road and Hayden Road mum worked there for years as a smocker. They were in a room with the machinists the noise was horrendous so they all had to lip read.

At the corner of Haydn Road/Nottingham Road was a church. Just down from there was the part of Courtaulds where I worked. It was mainly a clothes wholesaler of (Walker Reid( ladies underwear and some outerwear. There was also a men's wholesaler (Luvisca) and then a children's wholesaler (Chaffinch). I vaguely recall a small area of machinists but I don't think they were there all the time that I worked for the company. It's the building that now has a gym.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Sorry Dave put it down to my age I meant corner of Nottingham Rd and Perry Rd. The large factory was between Perry Road and Lortas Rd and stretched back up Perry Rd as far as Westbury Rd.

On March 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM, DaveN said:

At the corner of Haydn Road/Nottingham Road was a church. Just down from there was the part of Courtaulds where I worked. It was mainly a clothes wholesaler of (Walker Reid( ladies underwear and some outerwear. There was also a men's wholesaler (Luvisca) and then a children's wholesaler (Chaffinch). I vaguely recall a small area of machinists but I don't think they were there all the time that I worked for the company. It's the building that now has a gym.

Hope that helps!

I worked for Courtaulds in the paint company, International Paint.

Once on a junior manager’s course at Leicester University I was sat next to this guy from Exquisite Fabrics?. He was marketing ladies underwear from Hanover Square and was moaning about how difficult it was to deal with all those models. I though what a nut case, given at the time I was spending half my life in dry docks, blasting and painting ships, the nearest woman would be in a bar somewhere just outside the dock gate.

• Like 2

I heard from a mate recently Martyn..he was a BP man..that we covered up rot and fatigue!!!

I was on a cradle..but never saw such a thing..he then said google The Equinox i think it was...lummee!!!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IAN123. said:

I heard from a mate recently Martyn..he was a BP man..that we covered up rot and fatigue!!!

I was on a cradle..but never saw such a thing..he then said google The Equinox i think it was...lummee!!!

Ian 

I didn’t get what you were saying here 

• Like 1

Tanker painters didn't point out faults!!

Some were and are suffering corrosion..like the Japanese one that sunk a while back.

• Like 1

Gotya - too early for me

You are right some owners were terrible, including some that should have known better. There was a huge loss of ships and their crews in the late 80’s and 90’s due to corrosion, particularly in tanker ballast tanks and on bulk carriers but not too much was done or heard about it. Its a awful thing to say but as the crews were mainly Philippino they apparently didn’t count as much. New regulations came out in the late 90’s and given all the stuff surrounding the Alaska Pipeline,  Texas City and the Deepwater Horizon I believe things have improved.

• Like 2