5p Charge for carrier bags !

I need bags for when I do a car boot sale

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The big problem I can see with this is that the English government has added proviso's and people are trying to take advantage of those provisos. The Welsh deal that's been going since 2011 has no pro

If the powers that be are so concerned about plastic bags, they should turn their attention to items being 'over packaged'.

Doctors are a lot like carrier bags, people won't realize their value until they have to start paying for them. Next!

I use Lidls or Waitrose ones whenever I shop at Tesco's. Sod em !!!!

I think the idea of charging a payment for the bags is to discourage people from using them and therefore there would be fewer going into landfill.

We all like to look back at the old good old days on here, so I'm just curious as to how we ever managed before shops began handing out plastic bags to every customer.

Our mums all had string bags, or ones like Roy Croppers in Corrie.

I can remember Brown carrier bags, I think they had string handles, a nuisance when one side of the handle always seemed to break free!

If plastic carrier bags take a hundred years or so to degrade? why were we told to use them in our food waste receptacle, by the person at the council offices when we inquired. It sounds to me like the person giving that advice had the wrong information. I can't see anyone at the tip emptying the food waste out and putting the bags in another recycle bin. Have we been wasting our time?It looks that way!

I can remember Brown carrier bags, I think they had string handles, a nuisance when one side of the handle always seemed to break free!

Yes - didn't they used to cost 3d in Woolworth's?

Regarding food waste recycling, we're told here (and in fact issued with them by the Council) to use special degradable plastic bags.

Ben #20. Brown paper sacks have been used for groceries here for a long time. They were using them when we moved to Toronto in 1971. At that time we used to use them to put the trash in. At least they were recycleable, although nobody seemed to worry about that then.

Beeston Mick #17: Tesco never gave us anything here in Scotland....but then you know what they say about the Scots! :)

Merthyr Imp #12 said: "I'm not sure what Compo is referring to by bags for waste, as the plastic bags we have to use here for recycling waste are degradable."

I think you are referring to the small blue/green bags used for kitchen food waste. We don't have them up here in the north of Scotland at the moment. I have one of those frames that fit on the back of a worktop cupboard door, designed to take plastic carrier bags. Now that bags are charged at 5p per unit it is cheaper to buy plastic bags on a roll for my non-food and non-recyclable waste.

My waste food goes into my composters and my recyclable waste goes into my blue top bin for pick-up by the council. cardboard and paper is used in the multi-fuel burner for heat and so we don't make much in he way of rubbish bin filling. My rubbish bin goes out once per month and even then it is not always full.

Well done Compo, there wouldn't be any need for so much landfill if we had more incinerators, but yet again the tree hugging fraternity won the day.

I burnt much in my wood burner when I lived at Saxondale. I put out one small bag each week.

• Upvote 1

In the old days we used to make our own bags but wrapping cardboard milk bottle tops with wool then tying them together - Peter

Mr Tesco - or at least the checkout girl -insisted we had one of their reusable bags today FOR FREE, even though we didn't need it.

• Upvote 2

Would you believe it. Chris went to our local Tesco Express at 6.45pm this evening and exactly the same thing happened to him. Very nice bag it is too. Green with Food Glorious Food spelled out in different foods.? Must be a Tesco Special?

• Upvote 1

I bought a large trolley bag 20yrs ago and still use it weekly. It has wooden handles, the remainder being heavy duty reinforced plastic.

Our local Co- op has been closed for a week is so for re-furbishment, they opened again on Friday. A neighbour told me that someone had knocked on her door and handed her a Co-op 'bag for life' with free biscuits in it. I saw them going along the road, they glanced across at my house but never knocked on MY door!

Oh dear, I'll shove a chocolate digestive through your letter box. LOL

• Upvote 3

# 44 - Lucky duck....

I have a couple of old Ikea bags which will come in useful.......

We have a small chain of supermarkets here called "Trader Joe's."... They give out heavy brown paper sacks

I was thinking of alternative Paper bags this morning before I read this.

I used to go to Trader Joe's when I visited my late Dad in Glendale Ca.

Loved the shop and carrying my stuff out in substantial paper bags.

Like a trip back in tow... then back down market to 'Target' plastic bags,