Nottstalgia good food guide.

Qztalgian you forgot the Cockle and Mussel man although he only came around in the evenings.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Busy making a batch of mincepies to take to Quiz Night at Harby (the one near Newark) tonight. Having new health issues now (ie diabetes) I decided to check out the calorific value of my homemade minc

Roebuck on St James Street isn't bad. Some of the customers can be a bit funny though.

With my wife being ill I will be doing the Christmas dinner this year. I'm not experienced enough to cook a turkey so I'm going to make them beef wellingtons instead. I've never made any before (I did

Pubs / restaurants etc do over charge for wine, but if you're out for a good meal , it doesn't really matter. I never let the cost of things ruin the evening. It's the overall outing  that matters, I'll never let it worry me unduly. 

7 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Qztalgian you forgot the Cockle and Mussel man although he only came around in the evenings.

Quite right Mary, As well as the F&H and BB he used to go to the White Lion, Bird in Hand, The New Inn and on to the Little John. I didn't like cockles as I always found them a bit "gritty". But loved mussels and still do.

6 hours ago, catfan said:

NO NO FLY it's because some customers don't question the rip off prices that pubs get away with it. Don't pay it & refuse, I always do !

Catfan  i have been reading old posts on this topic and came across the  Langham and rats. Hubby said that late at night there were so many rats the lads would use them for target practice, never sure if i should believe him but he has been vindicated.

Gem

Phil get kebab, liberally cover said offering with hot chilli sauce, get stuck in & all you will taste is hot chilli sauce. IMPORTANT. Eight to ten pints of bitter before hand helps a lot !

• Like 1
6 hours ago, catfan said:

Looks like the poor old Kebab is going to be banned, bleddy EU, lets gerrout sharpish I say.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/news/uk-world-news/doner-kebabs-could-banned-europe-865285

Invented by a Turk, who was living in Germany at the time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24685617

Can't get more British than that!

• Like 1

Had many in France where they look quite presentable, but only about three over here, where they invariably look like the results of a road accident. I must admit, they're initially very tasty after some alcohol, but I get bored when I'm half way through, and the contents drip over my hands !

:hungr:

One of my sons has always loved kebabs after a night in the pub. He’s bumped into Frank Bruno a couple of times in his local kebab place, reckons they’re big mates now as they have the same taste in food!

• Like 1

Dropped into our local Billinge ( Merseyside) Galloways at lunch time, since the ktichen is still a 'work in progress'  Minced Steak Pie and a tub of Mushy Peas. Girl serving me said 'You can't beat pie and peas'.  I enquired: " Have you ever had peas and mint sauce?  She looked at me a bit 'gone aht'..

But.. another girl there said she'd been working in a pub in Blid'orth (She even had the pronunciation !!!) and had been asked to serve hot peas and mint sauce on Bonfire Night.  She told me she thought.. 'That'll never sell...!!', but was amazed how popular it was...

We'll conquer the world eventually....  :)

I was at a loss for something interesting to watch on tv last night, but ended up watching The Nottingham Good Food Awards on Notts TV. It was introduced by the ultra annoying Gregg Wallace. I was well into it, then noticed it was from 2015. Interesting though, and it gave me a couple of ideas for dining out and drinking.

• Like 1