• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

we've had two feet of snow tonight

Looks nice now mind....

#37 - that's why Audis are better than BMWs... or maybe I'm just bias!

Posted Images

Snow flakes as big as Half Crowns here in our part of West-Midlands. Coming down thick and fast. The ground was very wet earlier and it couldn't settle. But if it freezes in the night it will definately be 'Snow Man' building time in the morning.

• Upvote 1

Hucknall Rd Basford is the same now.

Just be thankful it's snow and not an ice storm. Five years ago this month was when we had the worst ice storm on record, virtually closed the mid west down from Kansas to the east coast. Hundreds of miles of power lines on the ground. Our own utility had to replace over 1000 wood poles that had snapped like carrots. Some folk were without electricity for over six weeks. Hundreds of line crews were brought in from all over the US and Canada sent dozens of line crews to assist in the repairs.

Here's one picture look up my driveway, no, it's not snow, it's all ice, over two inches thick and up to four inches in places!! Tested my workmanship out on my roof trusses!! Not one failed or even groaned.

Note the sagging power lines on the left side of the photo.

jan2009icestorm03.jpg

Here is a shot of the power lines covered in ice, the top line would normally be the line and the bottom the neutral, both were neutral for nearly a full week!!

Jan2009icestorm05.jpg

That was the cat, who had gone ahead of us on our walk to the top of the drive Ben. We went to check to see if any trees had snapped and across the drive, the drive is around half a mile long.

• Upvote 1