LATE 60S EARLY 70 I WORKED AT BOOTS ON THE BEESTON SITE MAINLY D10 ONE OF THE FEW ORRIGINAL BUILDINGS STILL THERE ART DECO DESIGHN O

WORKED ON THE FIRST FLOOR OWN GOODS FINISHED STOCK OR OGFS FOR SHORT THIS WAS WEAREHOUSE DISTROBUTION CENTRE FOR ALL BOOTS OWN PRODUCTS THIS INCLUDED MAKEUP NO 7 AND 17 SOAP PRODUCTS MEDICINESOUR DEPARTMENT WAS ABOVE SOAP PACKING DEPARTMENT WE COULD LOOK OVER A BALCOLNY AT THEM WORKING DOWNSTAIRS.

I WAS AN ORDER PICKER PACKER YOU HAD WHEN I FIRST WENT THERE A METAL TROLLEY THAT CARRIED WOODEN BOXES THAT YOU PICKED WHAT WAS NEEDED FOR THE ORDER YOU WERE ONLY SURPOSED TO HAVE TWO BOXES ON IT AT ONCE BUT IN REALITY YOU COULD HAVE UP TO 6 ON IT AT ONE TIME ONCE THE ORDER BOX WAS READY YOU PUT THEM ON A CONVEYOR BELT WITH THE ORDER NUMBER CARD ON EACH CARD NUMBER RELATED TO A CERTAIN STORE THOUGH OUT THE COUNTRY.LATER WE STARTED USING THE LARGE CADGES YOU STILL SEE IN STORES TODAY.

THE MAKEUP DEPARTMENT ALSO HAD ONE OF THE FIRST MOOVING SELVING SYSTEMS IN BOOTS WEARHOUSESIT CAME TO YOU RATHER THAN YOUR WALKING ALL ROUNDS THE PREVIOUS SHEVING SOME OF US MOVED TO STATION ST FOR AWHILE SO THIS SYSTEM COULD BE PUT IN.

WE ALSO USED SOME WEARHOUSING AT ISLAND ST AND STATION ST WHEN ENTIRE RANGE OF 17 STARTED AND THE WHOLE RANGE HAD TO GO OUT TO ALL THE STORES THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH ROOM TO START WITH FOR THE AMOUNT OF STOCK NEEDED . I LEFT IN 1974 I THINK BUT HAD LOTS OF GOOD TIMES WORKING THERE..

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lock up your Sons, Boots gals on the lash.  

With these new computer systems (local authority) your boss knows how long it is since your mouse moved!  It says something like..."has been away for 15 minutes".   You also know how long it

I went through Boots this morning, they are building a new access road next to the roundabout on Lilac grove, at the other end of the site Thane road end they are having a bridge built over the canal,

Hi piggy & babs

My grandfather Hubert worked in D10 during the 60's and 70's retiring in the late 70's what a coincidence

Paul

I worked on Station Street from 1962 till 1972 first in the General Office block and then moved into the Head Office block when they moved to Beeston. ( both been demolised now) Went to Boots college one day a week on Mondays for the first 2 years.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

dont remember them being called t1 balls but we used to go to a boots dance at sherwood rooms just before christmas every year when i worked for boots late sixties early seventies. beeston d10.wellcome to notts talgia

• Upvote 1

The T1 Ball was a semi-formal affair very popular with all employees. It was held, as you say, March/April, which was when the bonuses were distributed. As was usual for the time the senior staff (managers etc) were still ‘segregated’, seniors upstairs, lower echelons downstairs. Integration was not encouraged. But a good time was had by all as they say.

If memory serves, at various times the “Sherwood Rooms” were called “The Astoria Ballroom” and at another time “The Greyfriars”. Can anyone recall the right order and maybe the years. I think it was the “Greyfriars” during the war.

• Upvote 3
  • 5 months later...

I wonder if this will signal the end of Boots in Nottingham ?

Yes, yes I've heard all about the statements that they want to keep the headquarters in Notts etc,

but beware of 'chocolate promises'.

Remember the Kraft / Cadburys deal!

The car parking levy might just tip the balance anyway. They'll probably up sticks and move the headquarters to Chicago and the manufacturing to somewhere in Asia.

The ultimate Boots HQ is in Switzerland now and this is an attractive element that may have encouraged the takeover. The USA are concerned that many of their big companies buy smaller ones domiciled in Europe (as with Pfizer and Astra Zeneca) as the company tax is 20% whilst in the USA it is 38%

Walgreens have also announced that they will NOT move their HQ to Europe (Ireland was talked about) even though they have bought the remaining stock of Alliance Boots. I doubt this will have any affect on Beeston as Walgreens are not a manufacturer, in fact obtaining the manufacturing ability was probably one of the reasons they were interested in the acquisition.

I get my prescriptions filled at Walgreens - they are a good outfit to do business with. It will be interesting if Boots labels start showing up in their stores. Boots used to have stores in Canada, but I think they all closed about 10 years ago.

Limey.

Promises from multi-nationals don't mean a thing.

They'll promise anything to get the deal through, then they'll just do whatever they want.

Close factories, move their headquarters, avoid paying tax etc etc.

They know they can because governments don't do a thing to stop them.

As they say..... watch this space !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Is there any industry left in Nottingham now??? Remember when there was manufacturing, large and small engineering works, Cycle manufacturing, drugs and telephones, coal, building, knitted products and brick making.... It was hard to make ones mind up in the early 60's what to do when we left school.

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Boots the Chemists