Did you ever have....

A rhubarb stick with a a little pile of sugar on a piece of newspaper?

• Upvote 6

Raw Quaker oats with cocoa and sugar, no milk, eaten with a spoon. The original unhealthy snack. Me.

Baked bean sandwiches, my brother.

• Upvote 1

So did I katy, me and Mrs Karlton was only talking about it this morning, in fact she's baking some chocolate sponges this minute containing cocoa powder of course.

• Upvote 1

Condensed milk sandwiches.

Weetabix buttered and sprinkled with sugar.

I had bread and sugar too.

Bread and dripping, when there was no "gravy" I'd use Bovril.

Crumpets toasted and buttered and spread thick with Bovil.....

Sugar sandwiches, sticky milk sandwiches, bread and dripping with salt, tomatoes sprinkled with sugar, cucumber sliced thinly in vinegar, bread and butter to accompany the tinned fruit, mashed potato with gravy for Sunday lunch (cos I didn't like meat or vegetables) rhubarb sticks dipped in sugar, scraping the cake mixture out of the bowl and eating it - raw eggs and all!

• Upvote 3

Yes I remember enjoying bread and sugar. Nice.

Scraping out the bowl when mum had mixed a cake was a real treat. The salmonella in raw eggs scare put a stop to that, and also to my use of some favourite recipes including one very very sweet pineapple cheesecake mousse.

I remember having Bovril as a hot drink especially when I came home on very cold days.

I could never eat rhubarb, it upsets me but it is very good for cleaning pans!

What ever happened to Bovril ? used to love it and the Bovril crisps too, we used to see it here but not anymore, maybe the madcow thing ?

Brother had bread and sugar sandwiches too but I didn't like it, I used to eat treacle out the tin though, no wonder I have teeth trouble.

Lyles Golden Syrup .

Loved rhubarb crumble with custard too, we occasionally get it here in the lower Eastern states where the climate is cooler to grow it.

As an aside to the madcow thing, we are not allowed to be blood donors here due to living in the madcow era in the uk.

I used to nick a couple of spoonfulls of National Dried Baby milk from the tin when nobody was looking.

Used to buy a stick of " Spanish Root " when I had a couple of pennies to spare. Last time I bought some was about 1977 at a sweet shop somewhere near the Theatre Royal. I think the shop was on Upper Parliament St, again I am not sure.

• Upvote 1

Something called " Suet Pudding " but I don't think it was a pudding as such, might have had it with the main meal with gravy, can't remember.

We used to call liquorice root "chewing wood" when I was at primary school, and it used to get passed round so everyone in our group could have a chew of it. It was thicker than the ones you can buy nowadays - I still quite like it even now. I also remember - still at primary school - using a pin to pick out and eat pomegranate seeds.

• Upvote 3