If I claimed and won, it'd bankrupt the civilised world !!!!!

I apologize to Mick2me for posting this in another thread. I hadn't seen it at the time.

Wake up Compo, I know it's still night time up there but........ LOL

• Upvote 1

I always thought the dunce's hat was a bit of an urban myth, did anyone actually have it used in their school?

If so, of course it goes without saying, they never had to wear it. :)

Compo, #1 - i could add about another ten ticks for different items to be beaten with, a teacher at school, 6ft 4in of quivering muscle, threw a wooden blackboard rubber at me knocking me out, good laugh for the class, had six of the can on each hand for tearing, (by accident), a page in a book, mind you teachers were learners compared to home, but made me the man i am today, 9 stone of quivering jelly

When my missus was at school, because she wasn't paying attention, the teacher lobbed a blackboard rubber at her and it bruised her face. When she got home, her dad wanted to know how it happened. She told him and next day he went with her to school and confronted the teacher. He told her if she ever threw a tool of her trade at his daughter again, he'd throw one of the tools of his trade back at her and see how she liked it. He was a bricklayer.

I got the cane on my last ever day at school for pressing the emergency electric cutoff button in woodwork at Beardall Street Hucknall. Never had lines. Marciniak at Trent bridge used to twist the short hairs on the back of your neck, ouch..

The mind boggles if this was true, i wonder how far the queue of claimants would stretch. One of the best laughs we had at Sneinton Boulevard was when Ben Scargill was giving one of the Pickances a 'good' one with the strap and P. took his hand away with the much used phrase " it wasn't me Sir', Ben carried on with the stroke , hitting his trouser pocket with enough force to ignite a box of matches in there. Happy days and none the worse for it, Come on all together one 2 is 2, two 2s are 4 all the way up to 12 x 12s are 144. now where's my calculator!

• Upvote 2

First year in junior school there was a certain teacher who was noted for her harsh discipline. A buddy of mine and I were talking and she called us out. She decided to teach us a lesson by banging our heads together. I twisted a bit to try to avoid it and took his head into my left eye. I had a shiner that lasted a week or two. Mother went up and raised some fuss but nothing much changed. Imagine the rsults if that happened today. Where's me compensation?

My brother told me of a time in the fifties at Wm Crane Sec Boys when a sports master found a lad hitting bricks with a cricket bat. The master took the bat and laid the lad out with it. Whether it was a hook shot or a drive he never said.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if I've already posted this long ago...

Our deputy head caned a fourth year bully at the front of our class...we were first year and I think he thought it would be good 'education' for us.

On the second swipe to the hand the cane split in two (Ouch!) He ordered the bully to go to the Headmasters office to request another cane.On returning he proceeded to give him the other four swipes.

I met this bully boy some years later wearing a police uniform, and took great pleasure reminding him of the occasion, and congratulating him on his excellent choice of an appropriate career.

• Upvote 1

Daft as it sounds, getting the cane across the hand from our headmaster wasn't always much of a deterrant to misbehaviour.

But on the times when he wasn't there, behvaiour improved dramatically, as the deputy head was known to prefer to cane lads on the bare backside - for reasons we could only guess at, but which were probably accurate.

St Marys on Derby rd- st Augustines on Bowers Ave were full of dried up nuns who beat poor kids.shoes,food and soap & water were in short supply for these kids..but Miss Campion and Mr Burns etc ..were like Himmler on acid !! They only tried it once with me.." Brought our Jud up".

RobL # 21 Do you mean Mr Riddles (Chin)? Did you ever get caned on your bare bum? He frightened me, I didn't like him at all and he gave me and another friend of yours detention.