Having a soak in the bath this morning & contemplating my navel as you do, the thought occured to me, why do we have two taps when a mixer would do ? Surely it would be much cheaper than fitting two taps in the first place.

One of life's mysteries perhaps.

When driving along & approaching traffic lights they always turn to red, Why ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember when my friends dad had starter motor problems with his car. He went down the scrap yard and got a used one. When he got home he'd get his bag of spanners, the bonnet went up and he cha

But when you want a light to turn red......eg. if you want to adjust the radio or shuffle yourself round........they stay on green.

The best system is in the states, a red light acts as a give way if you are turning right. You can turn right if nothing is coming from your left. Unless prohibited.

Every house I've lived in since 1966 had mixers on the tub and sinks.

We have a new traffic light on the highway a couple of miles from my place. I swear they must have a camera on it and when it sees my car coming it turns red. Drives me more nuts than I already am.

• Upvote 2

Why can't they change the traffic lights late at night to avoid us sitting there waiting with no other traffic around.

If they had flashing amber for right of way and steady amber for give way it would lessen waiting times and reduce frustration.

That's far too simple. Don't forget Nottingham CC just love traffic control not traffic flow.

That's why emissions are sky high, we're all sat in line idling.

The best system is in the states, a red light acts as a give way if you are turning right. You can turn right if nothing is coming from your left.

220px-Rightonred.JPG

Unless prohibited.

no_turn_on_red.jpg

• Upvote 4

Two taps on a bath/basin/sink easy explanation. Until the advent of combi boilers most properties used a hot water cylinder fed from a tank above.

Tank fed hot water is usually working at about 5psi on the first floor, mains cold water is about 60psi. The pressure of the cold water would blow the hot water back up the pipe if you used a mixer. Only way round it would be to run a separate supply from the storage tank to the bath mixer to equalise the pressures. This is not allowed on basin/sink supplies as the cold water has to be mains potable water.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Here you go Plantfit #8: A left-hand drive motorbike and sidecar seen in Wick last August.

IMG_3769.JPG

• Upvote 3

Re-traffic lights turning red on approach : one day someone will realise that gratuitous and unnecessary obstructions to free traffic flow induce driver frustration, probably contributing to a significant number of accidents.

Here's another "why?" On the railways (where everything is fully controlled by signals) track layouts at junctions that require trains to cross to the opposite line before taking a branch line to the right are now banned following one or two head-on collisions resulting from signals passed at danger. On roads (where traffic is not under any signal control) chicanes etc. are built on perfectly good two way roads, deliberately forcing vehicles onto a similar collision course. The purpose? to slow traffic down. But in thick fog...? (a) the obstacle of the chicane, followed by (b) driving head-on towards who knows what coming the other way?

• Upvote 2

I've always wondered just how many road designers are actually drivers themselves. By my reckoning NONE.

I detest those awkward junctions where the left turn is so restrictive that large articulated lorries have to edge towards the middle of the road then turn left extremely sharply. Three spring to mind, travelling from M1 J26 to Strelley crossroads in order to turn left along Strelley Rd, and similarly travelling from Bardills island towards Toton then turning left onto Swiney Way near Tesco's. Travelling along Coventry Lane towards Stapleford, then turning left at the mini island in order to reach Bramcote island. Ridiculous. There's no wonder that the fencing requires replacing every few weeks.

• Upvote 1

Possibly the original roads were built before lorries got bigger and needed more turning room?

And in the same vein I used to feel the same about whoever designed school kitchens. They have obviously never actually had to work in one!!

No darkazana, there's plenty of room at each location for more turning room. It's purposely done to restrict traffic flow.