MPs to vote on national anthem for England

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

MPs to vote on national anthem for England Yes, yes, yes and about soddin' time!! And did those feet in ancient time Walk upon England's mountains green? And was the holy Lamb of God On England's

I really hope that they don't choose 'Jerusalem' as the new anthem! The melody is OK I suppose but I think the words are really stupid and based on a sentimental legend that Jesus came to England on

Personally I don't give a toss what they decide. This country isn't english any more. Don't forget the "ethnics" must be catered for too. We can't be seen to be TOO english can we.?

You do realise we'd be the 51st state. There are already 50 you know.

Interestingly, there are some solid arguments in favour of us being an American state rather than part of a federal Europe. Firstly, the way representation in US politics is population based, we'd have a greater say in the running of America than in Europe. Secondly, being a US state on Europe's doorstep would put us in an amazing trading position. Thirdly, we all speak the same language

• Upvote 5

I really hope that they don't choose 'Jerusalem' as the new anthem! The melody is OK I suppose but I think the words are really stupid and based on a sentimental legend that Jesus came to England once with Joseph of Arimathea! I would refuse to sing it (good job I don't belong to the WI). 'And did those feet ? ' .......... I strongly believe the answer is 'NO'

Also the song speaks of defending England with a sword (and a bow and arrow), which, depending on your views about war and violence are either too violent or ridiculous.

I know the music of the new anthem would be very important, but please get some sensible words!!!

Rant over...

• Upvote 6

A few light hearted suggestions.

The Dambuster's tune. (Everyone could just hum it at big occasions and footballers would not have to pretend to know the words)

We aren't the Champions. (Just in case we happen to get eliminated from a football competition).

The Robin Hood theme (Seeing as everyone seems to claim ownership of Robin H this could unite the country).

It's Over (Royal Orbison).

You won't feel (or get) the benefit (10cc)

Dad's Army Theme (Who do they think they are kidding, nothing will change...)

We could also just devolve everything and have "County Anthems"

Any suggestions for Nottinghamshire?

Get it on..... T Rex. Or The Power of love .... Robert Palmer...... Ignore me, I'm off track again.LOL

I vow to thee my Country is better ......

• Upvote 1

I vow to thee my Country is better ......

Got my vote; it's a part of "Jupiter" from the Planet Suite. I read somewhere that "Jupiter" is considered to be the most English of the pieces that make up the suite and is "Music For a Fair" - Goose Fair maybe? The words are a bit gloomy but being written just after WW1 that's not surprising, so maybe a bit of pruning will be needed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Vow_to_Thee,_My_Country

MB

I sincerely hope that # 10 wasn't aimed at anyone in particular Ian.