How's your day?

1 hour ago, IAN FINN said:

Are you going to wear your 'Coney Fur Coat' and Hot Pants for the next meet up?

Don’t possess either of the items anymore Ian!  You’ve reminded me about THAT coat though.  I hung onto to it for years but never wore it. I donated it to Salvation Army in Leighton Buzzard eventually and a couple of weeks later I spotted a little old lady wearing that very coat, she was a lot shorter than me so it was a good long length on her.  I was really happy to see it had gone to a good home.  

• Like 3
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

8 hours ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve just seen an advert in The Times today for a house in Nottingham City priced at £1,000,000. Further investigations shows it’s on Burn’s St. If you know the area you wouldn’t want to pay a million to live round there!!

It is an area I know very well and worked there for over 7 years. 30 years ago it was rife with crack houses, drugs and street prostitution, not a place you would want to live or frequent unless you had to. There were numerous perfectly decent nice people living there, particularly towards the Mapperley Road end but in general very undesirable. The internet has rid it of much of the street vice and I’m well out of touch with the area now although I still pass through quite often having friends and relatives in Radford and Hyson Green. The old adage, location location location comes to mind and this holds very true here.  The price is hopelessly optimistic and I’d be surprised if they shift it for anywhere near the asking price. 

Used to do a lot of supermarket deliveries round there. Most of the houses are full to bursting with students these days. A pig of a place to park the van, and spent half my time checking their ages for the booze they ordered.

Today I received a communication via LinkedIn, which I barely use. It was from a BBC Radio  chap, enquiring about Bestwood, Coal Mining and Gangsters. He'd picked up my name from something I posted yesrs ago on Stuart Frew's blog. I guess he doesn't understand the huge difference between Bestwood Colliery Village and Bestwood Estate, much less the wider context of the original Bestwood Lodge, etc.

Eitherway,  he's going to call me on Monday...so whilst I'm happy to help him, I think I need to politely put him straight on a couple of assumptions. 

9 hours ago, DJ360 said:

I guess he doesn't understand the huge difference between Bestwood Colliery Village and Bestwood Estate, much less the wider context of the original Bestwood Lodge, etc.

Has he considered doing a piece on Bestwood's Lothario, @benjamin1945?  Then there's young Trogg. No telling what he got up to in his wild and wanton youth before he got reined in (ie married).

All fair points Jill and ones I'll try to raise with him on Monday.

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Despite the weather this morning, postmen are still wearing big shorts.

Here too...:(

Interested to see the UK windfarms ( over 11000), are only producing just over 3% of demand today, one of the coldest days so far this year. It's no wonder energy bills are so expensive when we're forced to buy costly electricity from the continent.

My daughter has a friend who is a postie and apparently within our region there’s an unofficial “competition” as to who can wear shorts the longest in the winter. Have noticed that some do wear thick tights under them, even the blokes. I guess they’re easier to bend in than trousers and would wash n dry quicker.

Trogg, hello there. That can’t be the right amount surely? I got more than that. Presume it goes on past NI contributions? 

21 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

It is an area I know very well and worked there for over 7 years. 30 years ago it was rife with crack houses, drugs and street prostitution, not a place you would want to live or frequent unless you had to. There were numerous perfectly decent nice people living there, particularly towards the Mapperley Road end but in general very undesirable. The internet has rid it of much of the street vice and I’m well out of touch with the area now although I still pass through quite often having friends and relatives in Radford and Hyson Green. The old adage, location location location comes to mind and this holds very true here.  The price is hopelessly optimistic and I’d be surprised if they shift it for anywhere near the asking price. 

It’s a shame about the area, in its heyday the house must have been glorious, looking at the details. It’s still got the Victorian tiled floors but is already divvied up into flats.

Just now, Jill Sparrow said:

I think it's £250 for married couples and £500 for single people who live alone. Nowt, if you were born after 24 September or thereabouts. Guess who was??

I wonder if it’s because my hubby is a toy boy and doesn’t reach state pension age for a while that I get the full amount then.

Phil, you made me laugh “my younger wife” Almost sounds as though you have an older one hiding somewhere or several even. 

11 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I think it depends on your age. I get £350 and my younger wife gets £250.

Just checked and my payment was made on thursday 30th. 'Er indoors paid on the same day. Can buy some petrol now to come up to Nottingham in 11 days. 

20 minutes ago, IAN FINN said:

You would be surprised what happens in those outlying areas of Nottingham  MrsB.

I wouldn’t at all Ian, I used to live in Cropwell Butler, couldn’t get more outlying than that. Any scandal soon got round the village. I hated it in my teens. You couldn’t get any further away from the action. Our old house there has just been sold for 450000K which my dad bought new for 9K in the early 70’s. There’s inflation for you.  Built by Malcolm Gray, son of Jesse Gray.

Strangely enough I am meeting up with the daughter of the ex postmistress there the week after next. She now lives in Glasgow and we’re in the Lakes so ideal for a coffee at Gretna.

• Like 1