• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Crikey, it'd rip up the paving I imagine.

4 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

Crikey, it'd rip up the paving I imagine.

Think it’s about 45,000 psi .......... compared to 1,500 psi on a Karcher that we would use on a patio. 

Good grief !

Well my day started well or rather it started late last night. The dogs didnt want to settle and played instead of sleeping then barking at the slightest sound. My grandson had been out for a pizza with his cousin and other grandmother. She brought him back home and he insisted he wanted to open the door so she gave him the key. I have no idea what he did but he couldnt get the key out of the lock nor could he open the door,they tried for ages until I heard them and went to the front door. Ok I said let me try using my key from the other side ( we can open the door from inside as normal but cant open without a key from outside) to see if it will unblock it.:No1:

Youve guessed it they  both blocked. Tried for ages but they wouldnt budge, so we left both keys in the lock and went back to bed. The door is a security armoured door so its not going to be an easy task without a professional and who works at the weekend!!

28 minutes ago, nonnaB said:

Youve guessed it they  both blocked. Tried for ages but they wouldnt budge, so we left both keys in the lock and went back to bed. The door is a security armoured door so its not going to be an easy task without a professional and who works at the weekend!!

My dear mother managed to do exactly the same thing one.Christmas eve, nonna. Had to call out a locksmith!

Funny day today at work,, met a lot of posh folk,, had a little banter,,had a dance with my favourite West Indian lady,,God i think i love her,,evacuated the premises fire crew attended,, no fire,,bouncy castle broke a beam or sumat,,was for a kids party,,they tried telling me we not paying for half hour while alarm was going off'' told em don't be daft, we charging you for the fire engine the kids loved it........being Aspley types they agreed bless em..............

Day ended with me Dancing to loud music with about ten Sri lankan kids,, who thought i was really funny or mad,, anyway enjoyed them laughing very loudly,and telling me ''Sandi-pum'' on leaving with big smiles.........

I wasn't intending to respond further on this topic as I was being clearly unable to get across my basic point.  Also I have a lot of respect for Dave ( Loppy) and I don't want to fall out with him.  If fact, I don't want to fall out with anyone.  I'd hoped we were past all that.

However: 

•  

Col as your such an expert on UK gun control maybe you can answer a couple of questions.

I don't think there's any need to personalise this debate.  I accept that I'm an argumentative old sod, but I do always try to bat the ball.. not the man.

So.. firstly, I don't claim to be an expert on anything.  I have a certain amount of knowledge, an ability to research info... and my own opinions, which I try to base on at least some fact.  That's all.

Fully automatic guns were banned in 1936 so how come there was a machine gun attack only the other day?

I don't know which attack you are talking about, or where it happened.  But, if you are saying it was in the UK, I can only say that maybe the ban on such weapons has worked rather well overall since 1936.  I'm not sure that using a single exception to disprove the rule is helpful.

In 1996 Mr Blair spent millions yes millions of your taxpayer pounds to effectively ban hand guns by buying them all from their owners. How come there are shootings almost everyday in this country and of course we still get the occasional mass shooting.

I'm unashamedly left wing, but I have no time for Blair.  And yes, I'm also aware that the number of illegal guns in circulation among the criminal fraternity has apparently increased.  I believe a number of things, all outside of formal gun control, contribute to this. The internet carries both instruction in weapon making/adaptation/reactivation etc., and also supply, via the 'Dark Web'. In addition, the supply of weapons from Eastern Europe since the collapse of the Soviet Union also seems to have increased.

To be frank.. I've known since I was about twelve, how to construct a very simple, single shot, unrifled gun.  I'm sure I could do much better now if I wanted.. but that really isn't what I'm trying to get across re: Gun Control.

Gun control in my opinion does not and will never work they just import them from where they are legal for criminal purposes in this country. Nip over to eastern Europe and see how east it is to get your hands on small arms and then of course there are no or few barriers to get it back to this country.

Can I put it this way?  I agree with you in respect of the deliberate acquisition of weapons by criminals.  However, I firmly believe that the fact that any Tom, Dick or Harry cannot just go out and buy a gun, or an assault rifle etc, in the UK, means that we will never have the same levels of 'death by gunfire' as the US.  Because .. in the UK, kids cannot accidentally machine gun their firearms instructor to death, or shoot their 'Mom' in a supermarket, or find Daddy's gun and kill themselves, or .... etc.

As to America can you imagine how much it would cost the government to buy in all those firearms even if they managed to stay in power long enough to carry it through.

Well of course.  The misinterpretation of the Second Amendment has led to a ridiculous situation and I wouldn't propose the 'buy back' solution. It seems to me that there has to be a slow and steady reduction in the number, supply etc., of weapons in the US.  I agree that would not be an easy task, but then neither was the elimination of Smallpox, or the final majority acceptance that smoking is bad for you. It took time, but eventually the penny dropped. 'The longest journey starts with a single step'  etc.. I'd say that the US has first to recognise its own problem, and then  implement solutions.

Can we at least agree on one thing?  The underlying basis of the US Second Amendment, seems to be that 'the people' are entitled to protect themselves from outside aggression by the maintenance of a 'well regulated militia'.  Can we really argue that kids getting access , legally or otherwise, to guns, and then accidentally or deliberately  killing themselves or others.. social malcontents, kids with deep alienation issues etc.,  constitute a 'well regulated militia',? Hardly, I think.  And this is the difference between the US and Switzerland, which has in effect an armed population who are trained to defend their country.

In the US all too often kids, the deranged , alienated and just plain loopy, get access to very powerful firearms, which has resulted in the mass school shootings, and other mass shootings at nightclubs and festivals etc., which have made many despair of US gun laws. Not only that, but there are also huge numbers of other accidental/deliberate deaths by gunfire in the US.  Is it not obvious that most of these events would not happen if powerful firearms were not available easily in every part of the US? 

This is my point. Whatever is causing some people to go on killing sprees, mostly in the US, but also elsewhere, and even here (though much less frequently), they could not do so if the weapons were not available.

The NRA approach, that somehow more guns make everything safer..., is complete tripe.  They, and many others, seem willing to engage in the most bizarre mental and logical gymnastics, rather than simply admit that the gun situation in the US has got out of hand.

The number of people killed by gunfire, accidentally or otherwise, in the USA is FIFTEEN TIMES greater.. as a percentage, than in the UK.

One final point you infer that firearms are only available and accessible in the USA I hate to tell you this but that is utter rubbish

Yes.  I'l admit I said something like that.. but not what I meant.   Guns are highly controlled here.. less so in the US.  Will that do?  But.. whatever.  You cannot go into any shop in the UK and just buy a working firearm.  We do not have gun shops in every town.  As far as I can see.. they do in the US.

• Like 3
On 6/2/2018 at 6:34 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

There's nothing wrong with guns, per se or knives, vehicles, acids, poisons, lengths of rope or wooden clubs for that matter. The problem lies with people who, basically, want to use them to harm others. The psychopath has always been with us and, since they are usually of above average intelligence, it's impossible to stop their murderous activities before they occur. My father used to say that if there were only two men left in the world, one in the UK and the other in Australia, they wouldn't be happy until they met up so they could bash each other over the head! He was a cynic, like his daughter.

Personally, I prefer animals.

There is of course something in what you say, but do you really believe it's a Binary thing?  Do you not wonder whether the much more free availability of firearms in the US, compared to the UK, contibutes to the much higher proportion of firearms related deaths in the US, c.f. the UK?

Just got out of bed in my normal sleepy way.

Morning member's first thing's first what notes have been put on N/N site 

Oh! dear am I sad or not,

• Like 1

So, I've finally finished digging out a new trench for a new exterior soil pipe and drain, to run from the loo to the access chamber under the back lawn. It will of course also take the waste water from the bath/shower/washbasin etc.

I started on this job just before the kitchen fitter and co. commenced operations last November.  I couldn't locate the existing underground drain so had to hold off while they were working, as I didn't want to be responsible for anyone falling down a hole.  Then.. a long and cold winter didn't really encourage me.. so it's dragged on until now. 

I discussed all of this with the local Plumber who did some work on my kitchen.  He agreed my plan made sense and even quoted me for the job.  Then.. two weeks ago I called him and he said he was busy for the next two weeks.  So, after the two weeks I called and asked if he was able to do the job.  "What job?".. was the reply.  I texted him a lengthy reminder of my plans and previous discussions, then.. nothing..  I'll try him again later today but I suspect I may have to find another Plumber.  I'd do the job myself except it would inevitably take me longer than someone who is experienced, and also I don't have a 'core drill' for getting through the wall and really dont want to be messing with hammers, chisels, or multiple small holes in a circle etc. And of course Mrs Col would not be happy if our only loo was out of action for more than about 5 minutes.  Oh well... I'll get it sorted somehow.

I recently replaced the two front brake calipers on my Honda Civic because they'd started seizing on, causing overheated brakes etc. ( Actually.. I didn't.. I paid a mechanic to do it.)  It's a simple enough job but I have no interest anymore, and trying to bleed brakes after opening the fluid circuit is always a PITA.  I did have one of those Gunson's 'Eesi Bleed' devices but it 'disappeared' and they don't seem to be available now.  So, anyway.. one of the rear calipers has now started to seize, so I'm going to get those replaced too.  I suppose it's fair enough.  They are 14 years old.

It's gone a bit cloudy here today, but it's still nice and warm.  No complaints...  :)

Col

• Like 3
On June 2, 2018 at 6:37 AM, Ayupmeducks said:

We used to see hundreds of Tarantulas crossing our driveway when I lived in California at certain times of the year, still have no idea why. Tarantulas are supposed to be around here, although never seen one. We do have some pretty nasty biting spiders, and some pretty coloured ones, although not scared of spiders, I avoid touching them just in case they bite.

I'm more scared of opening the door and coming face to face with an adult brown bear, or being in the fields and a herd of feral pigs comes out of the woods. At least with spiders a size 11 boot puts paid to the problem.

When you say pigs, are you talking hogs? Have they got up to you yet?

I agree about the biting insects. Here in the USA you can get some nasty bites of some tiny little things, Brown Recluse, for example. I aways use a tissue to pick em up after I kill - just to be sure.

• Like 1
On June 2, 2018 at 2:38 PM, LizzieM said:

Our sons have a rather large ‘power-washer’, pictured here.  This is able to removed rubber off airport runways and paint and thermoplastic off roads. It would also take your legs off if you go too close!   We can’t entice them to come and clean our drive and patio though.  

D7677_C69-_C243-4_D2_C-945_A-_C9_A07810_

OK yours is truck mounted but ours (is bigger - so there) injects grit and max’s out at 40,000 psi.

We can cut glass, internal airplane parts, disposable nappies, cream cakes and take paint off the bottoms of supertankers and aircraft carriers. Using the Husky they (not us) reduced the weight if the mirror on the back of the Huddle telescope by 75% without affecting its structural strength 

• Upvote 2

Mine is small.... but beautifully formed...........  :rotfl:

d1.jpg

• Like 2

Col.   Re your comment on the previous page of your respect for me.  Thankyou. I respect you also, that is why I declined to continue the gun discussion.  Unfortunately I have found over the years that the Internet is a slippery slope when discussingcontroversial issues.  It is far too easy to just start thinking the other guy is an idiot and it quickly shows through our writing.

Probably safer to argue over the differences between transistorized ot tubed. (Valve) amps.  Not to mention which cartridge is best, and don't even mention speakers.  That's a subjective minefield.   yada. Anyway thanks again. I enjoy a chat with you.

• Like 2