• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

If the Remainers get their wish, and another referendum is held, the Leavers will be somewhat disgruntled to say the least.

If the new referendum goes their way, and we remain, then surely the Leave areas will feel that they have been steamrolled into submission, and will feel let down. 

Let's get one thing straight once and for all. The  area south of Milton Keynes doesn't give a flying chuff of anybody anywhere else. The North South divide will expand dramatically , and that will ultimately lead to even more unrest, mistrust, and social alienation.

43 minutes ago, plantfit said:

I also have a Silver Birch near the back door,you can just see it on the left of this picture and also a Swedish Hornbeam growing in the back garden

The Hornbeam is the same age as the Birch but is much slower growing

Rog

I'm OK with Oak, Birch, Beech, Chestnut, Sycamore and Ash... but I doubt I'd be able to spot, or identify a Hornbeam in the wild.  I really must 'bone up' on my trees.

• Like 1

It's so wet out that i've decided to go for a swim.  If you can't beat 'em..

• Like 1

Just very strong winds here today Col,with the area being flat there's no escape from them except to sit in front of the laptop reading this twaddle  thumbsup

Rog

• Like 1

On my way into St Helens yesterday I spotted three young girls probably early teens, gathering up pink cherry blossom petals and stuffing them into their pockets. No idea what plans they had for them.

30 minutes ago, FLY2 said:

If the Remainers get their wish, and another referendum is held, the Leavers will be somewhat disgruntled to say the least.

If the new referendum goes their way, and we remain, then surely the Leave areas will feel that they have been steamrolled into submission, and will feel let down. 

Let's get one thing straight once and for all. The  area south of Milton Keynes doesn't give a flying chuff of anybody anywhere else. The North South divide will expand dramatically , and that will ultimately lead to even more unrest, mistrust, social alienation.

It seems to me that the North South divide will increase if we leave.  It's only the EU money into areas such as the North East the North West, and also Wales, which has mitigated the worst effects of industrial collapse and austerity.. I have zero confidence that the present lot will come up with a replacement, especially from the mythical 'Brexit Dividend'.

IMHO, I don't blame people in the 'left behind' areas of Britain for being pee'd off. I just believe they are blaming the wrong people for their plight.

49 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

I'm OK with Birch

Now your talking DJ, I'm all for birching, cat o' nine tails, castration, lethal injection, hanging & public stoning, hopefully we can bring it back now we are out the EU.   

22 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Now your talking DJ, I'm all for birching, cat o' nine tails, castration, lethal injection, hanging & public stoning, hopefully we can bring it back now we are out the EU.   

Sure you can - just vote ISIS..

• Like 2

Just back from my swim.  Got there just in time for 'last orders'. The girl on reception said:  "You know the pool closes in 30 minutes?"  I said "Yep.. don't worry, I'll be knackered well before then.."

And.. 20 lengths, or 500m of front crawl later.. I was..

Thanks for the great photo of the hall and its organ pipes radfordred. Loppylugs I agree with you about the modern consoles being movable.  In some churches that have had their organ upgraded a movable console is put in complete with all the stops, manuals and pedals. These can have an on-board computer facility so the organist can set their stops in advance and just press a button for each new piece. It also allows the Director of Music to allocate a channel to visiting organists so everyone does not get into a muddle! I am not an organist, our son is. When I see him play using two hands, two feet, a swell pedal and stops as well as reading the music (thousands of notes!) it makes my day!

I guess that the console in the hall is put away safely. Expensive. Alternatively the organ could be electronic and the pipes may be for show, just having speakers behind them but it still needs a console to play it. Interesting. I prefer to talk about music rather than BREXIT!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

On my way into St Helens yesterday I spotted three young girls probably early teens, gathering up pink cherry blossom petals and stuffing them into their pockets. No idea what plans they had for them.

If they were well younger than teenagers, I would say they were going to make 'perfume' ... mixing them with water.  When I used to use rose petals,  it used to smell vile , though!  

They probably just thought they were so pretty, they didn't want to leave them on the road.   Later, I expect they'd just throw them over some boys to annoy them?    

• Like 2

Sounds like the sort of thing adolescent girls might do...  :)

• Like 1

Yup.  But when I said 'to annoy' the boys, it would probably be more to get their attention...  Never done that myself,  but I can see the logic in it!

• Like 2

I like weeping willows, there is a magnificent one in a garden which we pass when walking my boys. I also always wanted a monkey puzzle tree, where I lived before in Doncaster we knew someone who grew them on from saplings. Very expensive though. Something else for my lottery jackpot win list.

• Like 1

Monkey puzzle trees are very slow growing but they do look good (Jet is produced from fossilised monkey puzzle trees) just thought I would throw that little snippet in

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Miserable ! Wet, gales, tummy ache, shed erecting postponed until tomorrow, checked cordless screwdriver, knackered, so a race to Homebase for a new one. £65 down the pan. Oh and the sheep won.

Nevertherless, steak pie, chips and mushy peas for tea, then several G & T's. 

• Like 1

Tough going Fly.  Hope you are soon feeling better.  Let us know how the shed goes in the shed thread.  ;)

We'll all have to come over for a shed warming.  Bit of a long way for me though.

Beautiful day here.  Clear blue sky and around seventy five.  I cut the front lawn with the push mower rather than the ride on.  That way I could exercise me back leg.  Sloooow going but it looks like a golf course.  I'm about done for!  Feeling of satisfaction though.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Margie maybe the girls would put the petals in the envelope with the "love letters" they send to the boys.

Fly, set the table for another one, I'm just wondering what to eat tonight. That would just do me. Must make some steak pies I like them and its ages since I've earten one. The last time was in BHS restaurant years ago

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Stavertongirl said:

I like weeping willows, there is a magnificent one in a garden which we pass when walking my boys. I also always wanted a monkey puzzle tree, where I lived before in Doncaster we knew someone who grew them on from saplings. Very expensive though. Something else for my lottery jackpot win list.

There was a Monkey Puzzle tree at the corner of Heathfield Rd and Staplehurst Drive on Heathfield Estate when I was a kid.  According to Ben. a couple of years ago.. it's still there.

18 hours ago, philmayfield said:

A two thirds majority, even if only decided by one vote, is more representative of opinion than a 50/50 decided by one vote.

Totally missed my point there..I remember your idea being banded about..a 66.6/33.3 starting point isn't what I consider a democracy. The referendum in political terms wasn't even close.

Whatever your opinion the people who are supposed to represent us are a disgrace.

• Upvote 1

Dozens of MP's should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for putting self interest first. Many lied, by quoting they were putting their constituents first . Utter waffle. As for those who jumped ship and quit their party. Well they're the worst of the lot. Self promotion indeed.

• Upvote 1