DJ360

How's your day?

I've replaced phone batteries a couple of times & the batteries were Chinese knock offs which didn't last long. I stay clear of cheap replacements ever since.

My battery replacements were straight forward without dismantling the phone though. 

• Like 1

My daughter asked me to top up her car's engine oil today. Pouring a couple of pints in to the what I thought was the proper placed turned out to be the back of the engine instead. 

I realised when she drove off that I had missed the target because there was a pool of oil on the road.! 

• Like 1

I wanted to cut the grass today but I didn't want to risk missing any phone calls from the Docs.  None yet though.

I've pottered a bit, mostly pulling the leaves off a pile of buddliea prunings.  I keep the twigs out of the way around the side of the house and when dried out they make really useful almost invisible supports for border plants.

Weather is rotten. Bright enough but breezy and cool. Tomatoes haven't grown much at all since I planted them, nor the sweet peas.

I should stop buying Tomato plants.  I'm guaranteed a crap Summer if I do...:(

I was over in your side of the country in Lancaster on Saturday. Heavy rain showers over the Pennines on the way up and the temperature was around 15/17. Apparently the rest of the country was basking in the sunshine of the hottest day of the year!

Yep! :angry2:

15 hours ago, DJ360 said:

......tomatoes haven't grown much at all since I planted them...  

I should stop buying Tomato plants.  I'm guaranteed a crap Summer if I do...:(

I had given up growing tomatoes and any veg , as by the time they have matured , the price of them in the shops is usually pennies.

Plus the fact the constant watering and care of them if you go away for a week . 

However for Christmas , my son gave me a tomato growing kit . Tiny pots , compost and 6 varieties of tomatoes . A couple are ordinary looking tom's but in addition some coloured varieties,  yellow ones , green ones and black ones ! 

I didn't think they'd do much but sod's law , all the seeds "took" and I've ended up with 18 plants . I can get about 6 in the greenhouse and made a lean-to frame for another 6 in gro bags , against a sunny wall .  

If I can't give the rest away I guess they will have to be potted up and spread round the garden , though I've never had much luck with outdoor tom's in the past.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I gave up growing tomatoes about 20 yrs ago when we came to live here.We had quite a bit of land so I planted tomatoes ( wanted something simple !!) I planted 130 different types of tomatoes. It was hard work and I'd never done much gardening before. However we had a great crop and I preserved most of them apart from the beef tomatoes which we ate. The following year I thought no way am I planting the same amount again. They need constant attention and its too hot to be faffing with them in the summer, but it is nice to pick a tomato and eat it while its warm. So the following year I planted 60 , still the same work but on a "smaller" scale. This time instead of preserving all the tomatoes I made tomato ketchup and it last ages. A lot of tomatoes the smaller ones went into the freezer to be used later on in the year. It is very satisfying but never again.

We have an orchard at the back of the house but now I don't go up there, its all uphill and as my son and his family live on the floor above he has better access than we do so he sees to all the trees. This year we've had loads of cherries. This morning by 8.30 ( uk 7.30) I had made 19 jars of cherry jam.

Just starting to make some raisin bread, whilst getting something out of the freezer I came across a bag of orange peel so now that is cooking to crystalise it. I know I'm going to regret this tonight when I've finished everything.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nonnaB said:

This morning by 8.30 ( uk 7.30) I had made 19 jars of cherry jam.

Just starting to make some raisin bread, whilst getting something out of the freezer I came across a bag of orange peel so now that is cooking to crystalise it. I know I'm going to regret this tonight when I've finished everything.

From the lady who is supposed to be taking things EASY! you are a naughty nonna!    kickme

For the first time in many years I've not grown any vegetables. I've let the veg garden grass over and the greenhouses are empty. It's just too much hassle when you can buy the stuff cheaply in the shops at the time when you have a glut. There is a certain pride in growing your own stuff and the flavour is so much better but quite honestly I've got enough to do with keeping on top of the hedge and grass cutting. Age is catching up with me. It's time to buy that Nissan Micra I've always wanted! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Brew said:

From the lady who is supposed to be taking things EASY! you are a naughty nonna!    kickme

Yes I know Brew, but doing nothing or little I get so fed up and bored. Anyway I'll send you a cuppa tea an' a slice o' cake as Aunt Sally used to say ( I love Worzel Gummidge)

PS I have rested a bit in between.

• Like 1

For the first part of my day, see 'Ailment's Aches ..' etc.  That's if you are interested, which isn't a requirement.  I won't think any less of you if you aren't. :)

On the other hand.. if you are just the one here who likes to stalk people with inane and 'wannabe' smart arsed comments, carry on.  You are wasting much more of your time than mine and while you're are trying unsuccessfully to get to me, you are leaving someone else alone.

As for the rest of my day.  So far it's a bit showery here, but at least the biting wind has dropped.  Doubt I'll get the grass cut, but may get a few more plants in. The Lupins are doing well all bar one.  I think I planted it in a too dry and shady spot, so I moved it yesterday.  It was almost in (very small)  flower, so I may lose this year's show, but I'd sooner get it where it's happier.

Reasserting my part-time teetotalism until Thursday, when I'll be meeting Picko and Daz from Nottm. and hopefully the Coburn Bros. and Co. in the Cavern for a couple of afternoon 'snifters'.

Also planning a walk later.  Would love to go for a swim but been advised against for now.

33 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

For the first time in many years I've not grown any vegetables. I've let the veg garden grass over and the greenhouses are empty. It's just too much hassle when you can buy the stuff cheaply in the shops at the time when you have a glut. There is a certain pride in growing your own stuff and the flavour is so much better but quite honestly I've got enough to do with keeping on top of the hedge and grass cutting. Age is catching up with me. It's time to buy that Nissan Micra I've always wanted! :biggrin: 

I'm still planning to get a small greenhouse, but I need to sort out my very ropey 'patio' first.  A decent crop of Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Chiilies etc., can add lots to the provision store year round.

You don't need a Micra.  If you really want to do the 'pensioner' thing properly, you need to find the ugliest and most obscure model available.  Something from some obscure far eastern, Chinese or even Indian manufacturer should suit.  Just remember.... you only go out on Friday Mornings, for the shopping, or for a trip down the wrong carriageway of the Motorway.  ;)

So what's wrong with a Nissan Micra. Was my car then gave it to my husband . Ideal for quick short journeys. I loved it.

Actually Nissan Micra 's are quite good. Plenty of other rubbish about.

It's reliability that matters, ask any Micra owner.

I just associate Nissan Micra's and the Honda Jazz with the elderly. I suppose I've just got to accept that I'm in that bracket now!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, catfan said:

It's reliability that matters, ask any Micra owner.

Couldn't agree more. Jap cars for reliability any day.

• Like 1

Might have a blink in a bit...maybe a sniff?...could ring me GP.

The new Micra is a nice looking car, I was tempted but a bit too small.

Just checking it out. It doesn't get very good reviews in the motoring press - 6/10, 3/5 - that sort of thing. Not a keen driver's car, just a means of getting from A to B without too much excitement!

• Like 1

One of the best cars I had was a Suburu station wagon, made in Japan, little under powered, but couldn't fault it on anything else. This side of the pond we are seeing more and more "sewing machines on wheels" I often wonder how you can cram four people safely into such small cars. I'd be scared to go on the highways at side of 80,000lb semi trailers.

I drive a full sized pickup and much prefer the comfort and safety of those brutes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I just associate Nissan Micra's and the Honda Jazz with the elderly. I suppose I've just got to accept that I'm in that bracket now!

I get your drift Phil, but my neighbours have had a few Micras as 'second' cars for decades, even before the whole street became 'old gits'. They are generally reliable and economical.  As I said above, to do it right you need an obscure 'funny' car that marks you out as a definite 'old git'.

That said, there are a number of 'older driver' types about.  Ageing 'enthusiasts' in MGs, old Jags etc., with string back gloves and flat caps. Blokes in massive but lumbering old saloons which by some miracle are still on the road.

Little old ladies peering over the wheels of anything that isn't 'flash'. Usually in Maroon.  There's an old chap around here somewhere who's been chunnering about in a filthy, lop sided old Reliant Robin for as long as I can recall and he's still about.

Takes all sorts.  :)

I prefer a larger car. Our nearest garage, Harrison’s at Lowdham , have just taken on the Subaru agency after losing Peugeot. They are the only dealership in Notts. They certainly have a good reputation for reliability.

I've had my brother's old Honda Civic 2.0 L 'Sport', since 2012. It has barely deteriorated since I gave him £4k for it after he'd had it 8 years.  It came with 30k miles on the clock and has about 65k now.  Barely run in.

160 BHP is plenty to deal with motorways, hills etc, or for the odd little 'play'.. which I haven't yet grown out of.  I have every expectation that this will be my last car, unless Govt. emissions restrictions force me off the road due to unfairly high Road Tax.