DaveN

Old Streets of Nottingham

The electorate of Nottingham voted in those ‘idiots’, so who is really to blame? I find that from parish council level, through district and county councils right up to Parliament it’s only a certain ‘type’ of person who puts themselves up for election. Most of us just get on with earning a living. Do these people have a dedication to public service or do they want recognition that they can’t achieve by honest graft?

• Upvote 1

It's a question I've asked several candidates. "why do you want to be on the council" . Never had a satisfactory answer and some of the BS is laughable.

Agreed Brew. It does appear to attract the bull s******s. The level of incompetence within parish councils is eye watering and some of them are spurred to go on to greater things. I must confess that I stood for parish council when I was 21 and didn’t get elected. I did however split the vote and deposed an old fart who’d been there for years. That caused deep divisions! smile2

29 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Do these people have a dedication to public service or do they want recognition that they can’t achieve by honest graft?

Well, I know which of the two I think is the case...but then I'm well known for being a cynic! As someone once observed, most of the damage done in this world is by people with a need to think well of themselves.

As my mam used to say, "they're just too full of themselves"

Think to much of themselves???

A couple of years back we were called to a house on Standhill Road to change a ball cock in the tank in the roof space. The owner had already bought the ball cock and being unable to fit it had left it in the roof. The lad went up while I waited below as he weighs considerable less than me, all done off we went.

The next day I get a phone call from her to tell me how we had damaged the bathroom ceiling and wanting the name of my insurance company, what she didn't know was I had been in the bathroom whilst waiting for the lad.

I arranged to go and see her, and while there asked to see the damage we had allegedly caused, she pointed to a tiny white spot on a dark purple ceiling, then looked askance at me as I took out my camera and photographed the 6" hole in the middle of the ceiling where someone had tried to fit a bullseye light without first finding out where the roof joints were.

When I refused to give her the information about the insurance company she said "I hope you know I work for the city council" to which I replied "tell me where and I will tell them that you have just tried to commit insurance fraud" The look on her face was something to be hold, she really thought that because she worked for the council I would be cowed in to retreat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 photos capturing Wollaton Street at varying times10917862_1034168536599412_11158096338721I used this on another thread- but it gives an indication of the volume of traffic- two way...as well as Derby Rd?

Co-Operative House not yet under construction?28828428_2123277507688504_84508040599917This image shows the co-op underway..as girders look to be in place.To the left ( out of shot) would be Talbot St.Tollhouse Hill to the right.

Late 1940's i think.10906177_1034167616599504_49455310417835This is 1970..and Watts were in overdrive all over the city , turning our heritage into brick dust and memories.

Goodliffes Importers W/hse has gone..so has The Rose & Thistle and my beloved Nearly New Shop.

RCTS mate John Proctor lived on Talbot st..to the right.

Great pictures as usual Ian.

My dad and I used to go to the stamp shop on Wollaton St in the late 50s early 60s. It's still there I think but has changed hands a few times.

• Like 1

Much obliged Mess..one does try.10497415_1057792480903684_39675865273623This is a photo nabbed from an old Council Engineering Dept.

Showing sewer pipes installed behind the W/hse on Wollaton St.