DaveN

Old Streets of Nottingham

Here's a link to an article on the Post website regarding old streets in Nottingham together with some photos.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/history/35-streets-originally-made-up-1664361

Anyone else find the above link DaveN posted not working? Or my iPads jacked in? 

Mine is OK when using the link on the quoted post, but I can't get the original one to work.....  what's going on there, then?

David, Absolutely brilliant link. I have just spent half an hour scanning through it and the information is great. When you click on the little 'Read More' links it just leads on and on with more information about specific items. I have had to stop now, but saved the link for later, so I can read it properly. Best find for ages. I'm sure it will be enjoyed by many.Thank you for  not letting us miss that one Miduck.

Excellent find, thanks a million.

Only had a quick look so far but one point I would raise is the naming of Fletcher Gate. The article says the name derives from it once being the street of 'fleshers', or butchers. I always understood it was the street of fletchers, that is to say, arrow makers. I have no historical basis for this except the etymology and the importance of the arrow in Nottingham's past - even if it's only mythology!

• Upvote 1

DA5599_D2-_D0_DA-401_F-9615-44549_B034_A

The larger building here on Halifax Place was bought not long after this by a very good friend of ours and turned into apartments and offices.  He was one of the first developers to buy old Lace Market buildings and turn them into accommodation.  They still live in the building too,. 

2 hours ago, jonab said:

Excellent find, thanks a million.

Only had a quick look so far but one point I would raise is the naming of Fletcher Gate. The article says the name derives from it once being the street of 'fleshers', or butchers. I always understood it was the street of fletchers, that is to say, arrow makers. I have no historical basis for this except the etymology and the importance of the arrow in Nottingham's past - even if it's only mythology!

It's from the German (Anglo-Saxon to be pedantic) "fleischhauer" or flesh-hewer. Gate is the Danish word for street.

I'm not denying the definition, it's just that, as a child, I was told by my granny that Fletcher Gate was the street where Robin Hood's arrows were made. That fitted with the meaning of "fletcher".

• Like 1

DA5599_D2-_D0_DA-401_F-9615-44549_B034_AOld mate Alan Simpson lives to the left of where this was taken.Did some work on his Eco gaff..sound bloke.

• Like 1

hqdefault.jpgweekday Cross.Question:

Where the derelict building with no roof is...was there no road going down to Canal St?.Drury Hill was the only street?greyhound.jpgGreyhound St. Do recall a snooker and pool place up on the right- and The Armoury clothes shop.

Keith Hall was at the top.

After another marathon session at the Eye Hospital...we popped in the Kardomah...Mam was chatted up..cakes and coffee all round...i asked her later who this chap was .".Dave Kay the actor."...she answered.Woodland-_Place-once-a-throughfare-to-_LWoodland Place..an old entry to Long Row...ran down the side of Pearsons.

If it's the one that i recall ...it was dubbed Piss Alley ..as the drinkers from the Parliament House boozer ..lightened themselves here...a little too close to crates of fruit which was used as excess storage by the Barra' Lads.Similar to Norfolk Place that ran behind the Post Office.

Amazing how a photo can jog a lost memory.

Top of Greyhound st used to be the Council workers club, then it became many different clubs.

ntgm014706.jpgParliament St.at the turn of 20th Century, Miltons Head is on the corner..i suppose the entrance to Boots Chemists shop...today, is where the archway is pictured.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 1:18 PM, jonab said:

I'm not denying the definition, it's just that, as a child, I was told by my granny that Fletcher Gate was the street where Robin Hood's arrows were made. That fitted with the meaning of "fletcher".

A fletcher was indeed an arrow maker jonab but Robin Hood was a myth & anyway he came from Yorkshire !

• Like 1

Ooooooo Cf.... heresy!!  .... how so very dare you!

• Like 1

Yorkshire ! That'll set the cat amongst the pigeons !  Maybe, but in those days, Sherwood Forest stretched well into South Yorkshire.

Wilford Grove Library you may answer..i fell for it!

35570383.jpgThis is in The Meadows...the above is in Manchester.

The bank on the Nottingham Rd /  Valley Rd junction. 

Edited.... I'll take it as a no then ! 

Why do you think Robin Hood was a myth, Mick?  I'm not trying to be argumentative. It's just that most Nottinghamians seemed to believe in him.  I never heard it questioned while I lived there.  Things can be exaggerated, but it seems like there was some good reasons to believe it.  Is there anything in Nottingham's original history?

10 hours ago, catfan said:

A fletcher was indeed an arrow maker jonab but Robin Hood was a myth & anyway he came from Yorkshire !

I don't think that a grandmother's explanation of the meaning of one word to a small child is sufficient basis for a discussion on the mythology, or otherwise, of Robin Hood.

I don.t believe in the tooth fairy either !

• Like 1