Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Merthyr Imp: Ostermilk No1 was half cream and No2 full cream.

Not sure if I posted this before,In the 70s you could buy an eyeliner that you applied with a brush,it looked a bit shiny like patent leather.When you wanted to remove it you could just peel it off.Me and my friends thought it was great.

Fireworks! can you still get Jumping Jacks or Catherin wheels? 

Tops! Can you still get  Carrot Tops, Window Breaker, and Turnip Tops?

You don't see girls with skipping ropes anymore.

Mary, the children at our local primary school are crazy about skipping - boys and girls are skipping in PE , the playground and at home.  They have competitions to see how many skips each person can do without stopping.  The school has encouraged it.  I asked my grandchildren if they did 'salt, vinegar, mustard, pepper' with 'pepper' being what we called a double-o.  She said no.  Wished I was a bit younger so I could have done it to show her!

Margie,how do you know you can't do it,have a go when you are on your own then really impress the youngsters when you've mastered it,(you never know until you try)

Rog

Rog, I did try and can just about do the ordinary skipping, but the doubles are too difficult ....  I could blame the modern skipping ropes I suppose... lol

Margie,buy some of that proper rope washing line,thats supple enough and reminds me of the ropes we had at junior school,keep trying meduck,you'll have a laugh,keep fit and you never know

Rog

On 18/05/2017 at 11:44 PM, Oztalgian said:

Compo #4134

\snip\

Is that item on the right on of those collapsible reflectors for flash bulbs?

It is indeed a flash bulb holder.  The segments fold together like a fan when not in use.

Oztalgian: Here's a pack of flashbulbs to go with the picture of the flash gun:

33973765954_0b047854d6_b.jpg

Thermionic valves.  Remember when the telly repair man used to come around to your house and swap a few valves around until it worked again?

34430440810_10bda7c8e1_b.jpg

Sadly, the numbers are faded on this little game.  I am contemplating redoing them but it will spoil its originality:

34653808282_2633990d31_b.jpg

• Upvote 2

Compo,

I remember listening to Radio Luxembourg on an old Bush valve radio, you could "smell" it working when it had "warmed up"

I also recall flash cubes and 110 format cartridge film for cameras

Image result for flash cube

• Upvote 1

Compo, I recently bought a little sliding puzzle but it isn't as good as the ones I remember - the squares don't slide smoothly and you have to sometimes wiggle them to move them!

Unfortunately, these do not slide very easily either, Margie.  It had lain buried in a roadside ditch for I don't know how long.  One day they came along with a JCB and dug out the ditch to allow for better drainage by the roadside and hey presto! out came this little gem.

Things you don't see any more.

Rosehip syrup ( was it for coughs?) 

Gripe water

Babies glass feeding bottles with a teat at both ends( why)

A babies dummy with a little cup thingy on the end to put juice in

People using reins on kids

Rosehip syrup was to give us some vitamin C I think. I do remember it was very sweet, what with that and the tablespoon of malt every day, no wonder I've had teeth problems all my life.