Things you don't see anymore

I reckon Mick's right - Spastics society. The PC brigade would have us to forget that leg calipers were an essential aid for many children whilst we were growing up.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

There's a similar one (RSPCA) outside the Chemists in Port Issac , Cornwall.

3596972063_8ee618502f_b.jpg

Folks window shopping, or I suspect they don't do this anymore? As a kid my next door neighbour loved to window shop, and would take her daughter and myself down town at night. Just the bus ride in the dark was a treat, then we'd walk all over the town, just looking in the brightly lit windows of the shops. It didn't bother us one bit that we didn't [or couldn't] buy a thing. I think nowadays with the luxury of credit cards, you don't have to actually have any money to go shopping, so you always buy something on the outing.

ERNIE.................................................. lottery

Electronic random number indicator equipment

'Window Shopping'; thanks Kath for reminding me of this pleasure of the past that cost nothing: just looking in the huge windows of Baker and Plumb, Derby Road, at the furniture and carpets displayed, looking at prices and working out in your head how long it would take to save the money for something you liked.

To illustrate the occupation of window shopping:

Joan: "What ya doin' tonight then, anything?"

Jane: "We thought we'd go into town, do a bit of window shopping and then go for a drink somewhere."

Joan: "Good idea."

• Upvote 1

'Window Shopping'; thanks Kath for reminding me of this pleasure of the past that cost nothing: just looking in the huge windows of Baker and Plumb, Derby Road, at the furniture and carpets displayed, looking at prices and working out in your head how long it would take to save the money for something you liked.

To illustrate the occupation of window shopping:

Joan: "What ya doin' tonight then, anything?"

Jane: "We thought we'd go into town, do a bit of window shopping and then go for a drink somewhere."

Joan: "Good idea."

The good owd days, when yer couldn't afford to buy owt!

Haversacks?

My gang always used to call them Haversacks and they were always covered with the names of pop groups. One girl thought she was being clever when she wrote my nickname on her bag but spelt backwards. The poor girl was ribbed something rotten for it.

Whilst the ladies were window shopping in furniture stores we lads were window shopping in the car dealers, especially upmarket ones such as the one on Huntingdon Street (Name?) that sold Jaguar and Rolls Royce. Another favourite was the motorbike dealers - dreaming of that Bonneville or a big Norton.

Ayup Red, not seen you for a while. I still use a chip pan AND I cook them in BEEF DRIPPING. Yummy scrummy. Don't anyone tell me that it will be bad for my heart - had a heart scan a few months ago and it is in tip-top condition.

You will be more than welcome Katyjay. bighug (Hungry emoticon not working)

Those ( usually stripey ) pull out sun shades over shop windows.....look in picture the past and there's millions of em.

'Ere yer go - I took this in 1968 and I have to admit that it was the first time I'd used slides, as you can see from the poor result:

Striped%2520Awnings.jpg?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

I think the shades, or awnings, went away with the advent of air conditioning. I also remember shops having yellow transparent "shades" that pulled down behind the windows. I also have a vague memory of a flower shop in Nottingham that had water running down the inside of the window!

I took this in 1968

Striped%2520Awnings.jpg?gl=GB

Great Pic Compo

I like the back lighting of the figures which give it mood.

And exposed correctly to show interior of the window display (BOOT's?)

Love the old Rover parked outside the bank.