Things you don't see anymore

Consisting mainly of live broadcasts, timings were not always accurate in early 1950's BBC programmes, so interludes would be inserted between programmes to keep the audience amused. Typical interludes included: The Potter's Wheel, The Spinning Wheel, The White Kitten, Angel fish, Horses ploughing a field, and of course the classic "London to Brighton in 4 Minutes"

potters_wheel.jpg

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Before you posted that link I had only ever seen the train journey once before. I saw the bloody potters wheel a few times though !!!

Whirligig the kids programme on Saturday mornings with Annette Mills and Muffin the Mule and Steve Race at the piano...The Flowerpot Men and Andy Pandy.(Hilariously taken off by Des O'Connor in later years who put a whole new light on Andy climbing into the basket with Looby Lou at the end of the programme)

Thora was certainly one of the funniest actresses in her later years ...as were Beryl Reid and Irene Handl...all got funnier as they got older.

Judy Dench is a fine actress...but blimey she appears in everything on the box....including every award ceremony on the planet.

• Upvote 1

Mick - are you sure? She was married in 1933 and her daughter was born in 1938!

My father was a boy soldier born in 1911, the same year she was born.

The picture in Uniform was taken when he was drafted to India.

You can see how young he was.

He said that he took her out in London. I am assuming it was War time.

Perhaps it was earlier.

But I will say that my dad was a bit of a ladies man even at 95.

Re: post #272, didn't we also have the national anthem played before the TV closed down to the spot in the middle of the screen? [also it was played at the end of the night when the last film finished in the cinema. Always a rush to get out before it played, as you couldn't move while it was playing. Those were the days]

Got ya Mick - the thought that it was WWI went totally past me!

Good for your dad - the photos show he seemed to be a fellow who enjoyed life!

Farthings... I remember as a very small kid in the early fifties getting a small bottle of orange off the milkman for a farthing...about the only thing left that you could spend one on.

My first wages (apprentice plumber) were 1/5 threefarthings an hour. Before you try to guess my age,,,,, farthings were no longer legal tender so I asked why the hourly rate couldn't be 1/6 ? There were sharp intakes of breath as the whole place went quiet,,,, i'm sure some of them were apoplectic !

It didn't make sense to me,,,,, but it must have to someone !

Baz

Thinking back, I remember the 60's as a time of high fashion and everyone was 'with it'. But, looking back at old street scenes of the 60's, most of the men were still wearing a trilby. If you'd have asked me, I'd have said they died out in the 50's, but not so.