Caz

The Old Market Square

3 hours ago, TBI said:

Last time I saw the NTV1, some years back it was on a green Jag or Daimler.

Never heard of Ann Yates, I wonder why the council would sanction a special registration for someone who would only be transient. Was the County Council based at the Council House then and not across the river?

Notts County Council started back in 1889 at The Shire Hall in High Pavement after centuries of administration by the magistrates at Quarter Sessions which dated back to feudal times.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/23/2018 at 9:11 PM, IAN123. said:

Nice festive picture of Nottm Market Square.65259300-hi016922849-1.jpg

7.30 AM Sunday morning..............striding across the square after a great night out,,no finer feeling.............please Lord,,just one more time.......lol

• Like 3

I agree Ben..when on Continental shifts at Boots..i'd stroll through the square at 4:am.

Had a great chat & two smokes with an Army bloke..Katy the ambulance from the film Ice Cold In Alex was on display..he coughed his guts up with my Capstans!

Could kill a Capstan,, lol,,

Got home about 8am,,Mam cooked me whatever i wanted.......then couple of hours kip,,before joining my Dad for a pint in the railway club,, home for Mams sunday dinner,, another kip,, then back into town with a favourite lady,, Sunday was couples night in town in the 60s,, loved the 'Bodega' juke box ,nice smooch ,, Quatro's at 4/6 went down well with the ladies there,,    lol..............anyone know is the Bodega still open ?   love to take the Mrs one Sunday evening.........

• Like 1

Big for music now Ben..those big barrels outside the door have been removed.

Been done-up though...

• Like 1

VERY studenty Ben...went in with my Niece..felt 90!

Best place i find for 60's music and a great night out...is in Beeston!

• Like 1

Thanks for that Ian.............might nip in early doors for old times sake.............smack a student and leg it to Beeston,,    only joking,,

Got great memories of Beeston 1960/1.....Beeston lads club ,station road sat, nights,, me Harry Fewkes,,Colin Petitt,,Pete and Richard Robinson,,Keith Fairholme,(just realised we all lived on Andover road), not forgetting 'Big Bev' who taught me to Rock'n'roll proper...........great days until we all got banned,, Beeston lads did'nt like competion from Bulwell......,,....

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

Could kill a Capstan,, lol,,

Got home about 8am,,Mam cooked me whatever i wanted.......then couple of hours kip,,before joining my Dad for a pint in the railway club,, home for Mams sunday dinner,, another kip,, then back into town with a favourite lady,, Sunday was couples night in town in the 60s,, loved the 'Bodega' juke box ,nice smooch ,, Quatro's at 4/6 went down well with the ladies there,,    lol..............anyone know is the Bodega still open ?   love to take the Mrs one Sunday evening.........

Bodega is still open - but not as you knew it! Certainly not my scene but you may be more of a swinger than me! :biggrin:

• Like 1

Thanks for that Phil..............still might go,, early one night,, up the back stairs ?  not a swinger but up for a bit of Nostalga...........

In the 1980's ...when Hockley became trendy..The Bodega changed it's name to Cairo's.0-Cairos-28-Sep-1988.jpgRory...the boss man.

• Like 2

Charming image and beautiful colour...the golden age of shopping.images-27.jpg

• Like 1

I'm one of those who intensely dislike the vandalism perpetrated on Slab Square, particularly the 'Weeing Wall', which bears no relationship to its surroundings in scale, purpose or materials, and which meant the destruction of a far more useful 'weeing facility'!

What I want to know, though, is has anyone improved it by the addition of Fairy Liquid, as regularly happened with its predecessors?

Those uniforms have a sort of American/Canadian look, but the headwear is unfamiliar. Polish maybe?  Military uniform not my world.

I wonder  how many of those unfortunates survived 'till 1945 ?     

Or even to the end of June '44...……..

• Like 3

Sadly not many fog...these men camped on Wollaton Park..i started a thread called Tent City..  somewhere on here..recollections and images from these GI's..whlist in Nottm.

Those are American Paratroopers. Note the trousers tucked into the boots.