popothepixie

xmas pork pie breakfast

NO NOT A CHANCE DONT THINK THERE IS ONE FOOD SHOP ON THE GREEN OR FOREST FIELDS NOWDAYS THE TWO BED SHOPS ARE STILL THERE THOUGH STILL RUN BY ENGLISH FAMILIES DONT THINK ANY OF THE OTHER INDEPENDANT SHOPS ARE RUN BY ENGLISH PEOPLE A LOT OF THEM IF YOU GO IN CARNT OR DONT EVEN BOTHER TO TALK TO YOU IN ENGLISH THE ONLY ONE I USE IS OFFLICENCE ON BEECH AVE AT LEAST THEY MAKE THE EFFORT TO SPEAK TO YOU IN ENGLISH

I didn't do very well in Lincoln yesterday.

Found two Curtis shops, the one over the level crossing and another up near the stone arch.

Both had plenty of nice cakes, sandwiches and filled rolls, hot sausage rolls and pasties, but no pork pies.

But it was after 3pm so maybe they had sold out!

A pork shop with no pies!

We do go to Lincoln shopping occasionally, I will try them when we go over.

Re #124, could Sandersons be the same firm that made meat pies in the 40's & 50's. I think it was somewhere near where Wilkinsons is in Bulwell. My dad used to get pies from Sandersons to sell in his chippie.

Slight thread drift. When I was in the RAF and used to hitch hike back home from down South, always used to come via Melton Mowbray. Stopping off to pick up a Fleur-de-Lis chicken and mushroom pie. Their shop used to be open really late of an evening, probably for those leaving the pubs. This was over fifty years ago, but still remember the pies - magic.

Spent some time at RAF Yatesbury in 1964, close to Calne in Wiltshire. There was a large bakery/meat works down there that was renown for it's pork pies, and they were good. They also made some pretty special pork sausages.

PS. I think the company was "Harris's of Calne, Wiltshire"

Used to call in a small bakers in Gosforth in Cumbria. Meat and potato pie wrapped in foil and stuffed next to the radiator in my Granada was the highlight of my day.It was to die for...I told the lass if she ever set up in Nottingham she'd make a fortune.Absolutely Deeeelicious.Got back home to all the chippies announcing...'We sell Pukka Pies'....YUK!...wouldn't give 'em the dog.

A proper pie shop in Notts would make a bomb...price wouldn't matter if they made scrumptious pies without all the soya and monosodium glutamate crap they shove in 'em.

No wonder magpies and crows are doing so well with all this inedible rubbish dumped on the streets.

Soon be Christmas :)

One could never pass through Melton wihtout buying at least one pie Alisoncc!

Everyone got pork pie in yet for Christmas Day breakfast!

Yup, 7.30am this morning. We like Pork Farms or Melton Mowbray: but hard to find round here, so we discovered we like Morrisons Lattice Top Pork Pie. Problem is: Will it still be around on Christmas Day???? :biggrin:

I thought I knew Nottingham and its oddities, but I had never in my life heard of this idea until a couple of years ago when it first appeared on Nottstalgia.

Maybe we were a bit more upmarket on Clifton.

Well my good lady bought me 2 medium pork pies to sample xmas day, we have a kilo of uncooked Black tiger prawns going in chilli & garlic marinade and a kilo of local mussels to be done on the bbq for lunch. Full English breakfast. The rest of the day will be nibbles.

And maybe if it's not too hot boxing day we will be enduring a thick beef eye rib roast with yorkshire pudding cooked around the meat, with usual veggies.

• Upvote 4

Both sound wonderful Bubblewrap and Banjo48. Have a good time all of you.This year, Christmas Morning, we are down the street at our Daughters for the Prezzie opening and she wants to cook us Smokey Bacon Sandwiches. We won't be able to resist a bit of Pork Pie before we leave the house though. And then it's mainly Chocolate until we all assemble back at our house for Traditional Christmas Lunch at 2.30pm

Nothing much after that until Boxing Day, when they all come back again, plus Sis and Bro inlaw for Bubble and Squeek. :biggrin:

After the heart attack, I fear that pig pie is going to be right off the breakfast menu this year. Still, at least turkey is on the approved list, and having done penance at breakfast, I think I may be allowed a sliver of Christmas pud ! Don't talk about chocolate - it's just too painful.

• Upvote 4

I've got blood pressure issues but my doc reckons a bit of chocolate now and again doesn't hurt, does wonders for the serotonin levels apparently. :jumping:

• Upvote 1

Never heard of pork pie fer breakfast mate, but I do like pork pie, you don't seem to get them spicy like they used to be, trying Melton Mowbray's at the moment.

It was always tradition in our house when I was a littleun.

we would all sit round the table Christmas morning munching

on a big Pork Pie, it would have to be big there were a lot of us.

I must say It's not a tradition I have carried on.

• Upvote 1