The likes of Argos & Tesco Direct even most big companies nowadays have "Click & collect" service. Cheaper, quicker & in many cases much more convenient.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lock up your Sons, Boots gals on the lash.  

With these new computer systems (local authority) your boss knows how long it is since your mouse moved!  It says something like..."has been away for 15 minutes".   You also know how long it

I went through Boots this morning, they are building a new access road next to the roundabout on Lilac grove, at the other end of the site Thane road end they are having a bridge built over the canal,

#30 The biggest employer is probably the NHS, a quick google put the staff at Nottingham university as over 9,000. and Trent university as about 3,500.

I wonder how many are employed in the various call centres.

• 5 months later...

Can't agree with you HG. Not everyone has a mercenary intent. I have helped many authors with information that they would otherwise not been able to obtain, and continue to do so. All I hope for is my name in the Acknowledgements. The subject of her story was wide in scope and she would require many inputs from many people to get the feel of the era, the places and the people. I would say that in such circumstances, a remuneration is rarely if ever paid, nor should it be, even though the book is a commercial enterprise.

• Upvote 1

The T1 Ball was a semi-formal affair very popular with all employees. It was held, as you say, March/April, which was when the bonuses were distributed. As was usual for the time the senior staff (managers etc) were still ‘segregated’, seniors upstairs, lower echelons downstairs. Integration was not encouraged. But a good time was had by all as they say.

I worked in the Standards (later Quality Control) Labs in D10 Beeston from 1968-72. It was my second job after leaving school (Forest Fields) in 1966. All the management had to be addressed as Mr, Mrs or Dr by junior staff such as I. There was a holiday student who addressed my boss as Ken rather than Mr Rodgers and that caused a bit of a stir.

I think the canteen /staff shop building at Beeston had an executive restaurant upstairs but I never visited. I think you had to have special permission if you were non management.

When I started in 1968 I was introduced to a nice man called Mr Pegg who had been in the labs for 50 years (I think he went home at night)

So he'd joined the company in 1918! I bet he had some amazing tales to tell but as a silly 18 year old I never took the time to talk with him.

Certainly wish I had looking back.

• 10 months later...

Just read in the NEP that Boots are looking for 500 voluntary redunduncies in Beeston.

A large section of Boots was sold to foreign companies & I always suspected this would follow.

Also I wonder if & how much the WPL had to do with this decision ?

Before anyone jumps up & down please note that this is NOT a political discussion.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/500-boots-jobs-in-nottingham-to-go/story-29797034-detail/story.html

I went through Boots this morning, they are building a new access road next to the roundabout on Lilac grove, at the other end of the site Thane road end they are having a bridge built over the canal, they are supposed to be building a lot of houses on spare land.

Possibly the whole site could be houses in the future.

• Upvote 1

With these new computer systems (local authority) your boss knows how long it is since your mouse moved!  It says something like..."has been away for 15 minutes".

You also know how long it is since your boss's mouse moved! Equal opportunities! ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, A lot of houses going to be built on the Boots site, More land sold off to the developers... just the start of it really,,  Thane Road is going to run right round the back of the site - leading out on to the main road exit at Beeston end.. though Thane road is predictably not going to be able to take all the Vehicle traffic trying to cut through to Beeston from the flyover island that already gets congested when 3000 Boots employees try to leave work ,,  but no one cares about that bit ...  Also.. Sadly Boots is no longer Boots, tis just a name above the door of your local shop,, its now  "Wallgreens"  American through & through apparently... £100 million + has to be saved somehow,,,, so yes 700 job losses is just the start......

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
On 4/20/2013 at 5:14 PM, Val said:

I worked on Station Street from 1962 till 1972 first in the General Office block and then moved into the Head Office block when they moved to Beeston. ( both been demolised now) Went to Boots college one day a week on Mondays for the first 2 years.

I am researching on behalf of my niece whose grandmother Georgina Raynor worked at the Station Street Location.She is looking to locate somebody called Max whom Georgina was associated with.Would you remember anybody by the name of Max and what his Surname is.Georgina would have been approx 17 years old at the time and was carrying my Niece's father.Thanks

This thread brings back memories as in the 1960s my mum worked at Beeston packing soap but the soap dust got onto her chest causing health problems and she had to leave.  My very good friend worked as secretary in Beeston in the 1970s and I remember her telling me that there was a no go area ie no unathorised personnel and not many knew about it she seemed to think that there were animals in that area for testing on.

There was a fire at Boots'  Island street factory in the very early seventies. One of their 'men in white coats' was very protective of a certain part of the building, clearly off limits. It turned out to be their research into steroids . What the chemicals were, unknown, but the cabs had a very strong sweet smell for a full week after. 

Way off topic I know but back in the 1950's I was a railway fireman at Nottingham, one of our weeks work was  the 5.20 pm'all stations' to Newark Castle. The 'rule book' said that the driver must platform the train but the 'brains' overlooked the fact that the train had 5 coaches whilst all the platforms except Rolleston (for the race course!) was only 4 coaches in length! Luckily the passengers, mostly from Head office Station St. helped us to almost to keep time by occupying the coaches nearest their exit. so at Carlton we ran the first coach past the platform knowing there were nobody for Carlton in it, Burton Joyce passengers were in the first two coaches so we stopped in the platform nearest the exit, ditto at Lowdham etc but even with this assistance we were always a minute or two lat at Newark.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Boots the Chemists