• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me state quite clearly that I do not believe in ghosts... but   I met my wife to be in the early '60s, she lived at that time in Bulcote in what was once a coaching inn built late 16 ear

Do you like my ghost bird?   Took a photo of it this morning...

A spiritualist meeting is held monthly In a local community hall down here and I've been to a few. It's worth a visit to see the reaction of people. There are those who have recently lost a friend or

#22 - You're right. The thing these spiritualists thrive on is the fact that people want it all to be true.

There are of course misunderstandings. I'm sure I've already reported in these annals the spiritualist lecturing at the UEA and asking if anyone in the auditorium had seen a ghost. Quite a few had and told their experiences. He then asked if anyone had spoken to a ghost. Some had, though fewer this time and told their experiences. Finally he asked if anyone had ever had intercourse with a ghost. One hand at the back of the auditorium went up and a man was asked to come to the stage to describe what had happened when he had intercourse with a ghost. "Ghost"? was the reply. "I thought you said goat"! Those of you who have heard this before, please ignore.

• Upvote 4

There's a feller who has a Derbyshire history site, I used to keep in touch with him as he'd been a colliery electrician at one time. He related about an experience he had one night in pit bottom before he carried his elec examinations out on some pumps.

He was sat with the Onsetter just passing time, when he hear the bell ring on the shaft signals, and the clatter of clogs on concrete.

The Onsetter didn't move and just ignored it, to which the elec said, "aren't you going to let them out the pit"

The Onsetter said "happens every night, no one there lad, it's ghosts of miners long gone"

The elec said he looked outside the cabin, and indeed there was nobody there.

• Upvote 1

Ayupmeducks story must be fairly universal for miners .

Down here in Cornwall there are many tales of the ghosts of old tin miners . They were called buccas or spriggans . It was always said that they were the spirits of skilled Jewish miners that had been brought in from abroad possibly as far back as Roman times to work the mines .

• Upvote 1

He was new to mining, in all my years underground, I never heard or saw anything out of the ordinary, although the belt repair crews used to tie the lid of belt joint sealing tape to the roof supports over belts. When you were riding out, it appeared someone was shining their light at you, reflection from the shiny tin lid.

I don't recall anyone talking about ghosts at Clifton while I was there, and it was around 100 years old at closure, with quite a few fatalities overs it's life.

I've never seen a ghost down Moorgreen or Hucknall pits. A poor bloke (sinker I think) fell down number 4 shaft from one of the insets (intermediate shaft landing part way down the shaf) I witnessed a wreath being laid in the no 4 Deep Soft pit bottom on the anniversary of his death, all the gaffers were there, very sad day.

I'll bet if you do a search Steve, you'll find quite a few fatalities happened at both those collieries over their lifetimes.

• Upvote 1

My mother was really into astrology and fortune tellers. One of these charlatons told her that her son would not marry until late in life so I fixed that. I got married at twenty. :-). I once told her that according to traditional beliefs there are two sources of supernatural infomation in this old world, God and the devil. In the Bible God condemns fortune telling and the occult, so where was her information coming from? The look on her face was priceless, she changed the subject. :-)

• Upvote 2

Sounds like the old hands used to try and scare new starters Steve...LOL

We used to do that a lot, like when we heard a feller was riding the cage with us for the first time...Of course we'd wait until riding out, then you'd hear " Friday the 13th today isn't it" Then " It was last year on Friday the 13th when the rope broke and the cage plummetted down the shaft killing 20 men, wasn't it"

Poor bloke would go all shades of white and green, legs would go weak and we'd have to carry him out the cage at bank.

Anybody missing would stop the pit and an all out search of the workings by all underground staff and Mines Rescue.

• Upvote 1

I know they used to play jokes on us trainees at Moorgreen John. Went to one of my wife's line dancing mates house a while ago, her hubby was an onsetter at Moorgreen, he confessed that they sent a signal to the engine driver to give us trainees a rough ride, the cage would always bounce a few times when it stopped at the piper seam inset. One day the under-mananger was on the same cage, no bounce at all. Bet they had a good laugh at our expense..

Although I have lived in houses where other members of my family have seen ghosts, I have never seen them myself. But that doesn't mean I don't have an open mind on the subject. Besides, as I have said before, when my time is up I have a huge list of people who I would love to haunt given the opportunity.

It's interesting reading through many of the posts. Like I said earlier, practical jokes and wind-ups can fuel the myth. The charlatans who prey on the vulnerable with messages form the dead also. Plus the natural human frailty that is the fear of the unknown. When we are scared, our programming is such that we can be quick to find a justification to be scared.

Everything we experience, whether rational or irrational, arises from brain activity. Medical experts admit they actually know very little about how the human brain works, and why it can sometimes lead us to come to false conclusions. As an adult, I've never believed in the paranormal. I can accept that some people totally believe they've had paranormal experiences because that's what their brains lead them to believe. But do these things happen in reality? Not for me.

• Upvote 3

Anyone remember this story from a few years back?

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Times/Section/News--Catches/General-News/December-2008/Anglings-first-ghost-captured-on-camera/

I'm sure I saw a better resolution picture at the time which showed the detail of a skeletal face. The NEP story is still on their website but the pictures on there are even more blurred.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Angler-catches-ghost-camera/story-12238504-detail/story.html

I worked at the Camelot Club was Mr Millers and Hippo Saw figure in long white gown twice!! Tony Samson the boss used to moan that i had all the lights on when down on my own!! Exited to Bench and Bar several times until other staff showed up

I've posted about this before but can't find it so will have to repeat it, a few years ago I was locking the main gate at work (the old RAF Woodhall site) the weather was cold and it was starting to get dark (17.00hrs) would be December time,anyroad,a few yards in front of me looking towards the main Woodhall road I could see what I can only describe as a column of steam maybe 5-6 feet tall and about 18-20 inches broad, it slowly disappeared as I got closer to it,I didn't feel worried or afraid by it just curious,bearing in mind the old airbase was the last airfield a lot of airmen took off from during WW2 the Dambuster 617 squadron as well as Wing commander G P Gibson never to return it's not surprising the place could be vulnerable to unexplained happenings

Rog

• Upvote 1