How's your day?

On 11/13/2023 at 9:08 PM, letsavagoo said:

It is reported that at the AGM of the National Trust it was revealed that the calendar for volunteers shows dates for Eid and Diwali but non for Christian festivals, Christmas and Easter prompting calls that the trust has become too woke. If this is the case I have to concur that this is ridiculous.

We are long time members of the NT and I am aware that they have previously got themselves in a bit of a lather as many of the grand houses they look after have historical connections with slavery. 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1834443/national-trust-christmas-easter-woke

Shameful.

I used to be supportive of the NT but now I'm having a rethink.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 18.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beekay

• philmayfield

• DJ360

• nonnaB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Result........CT Scans all clear......just got letter..been sweating for a fortnight......

Just got back from QMC again........the last eight days have been a bit Traumatic to say the least,,...blood tests,,X-rays,,and today a visit to a Consultant........cut a long story short......problem

Two years ago today..........my life changed forever,,,about this time i was on my way down to the operating theatre for what turned out to be a ten hour operation...........its been life changing in

Posted Images

Lost my lovely neighbour a couple of weeks ago....and attended her funeral wednesday......

She was an ex pub landlady......so you can imagine she was a real character who took no Prisoners........she was without doubt the best neighbour Donna and i ever had.....

Often bought her flowers and asked when am i taking you out?......i couldnt possibly repeat her answers........

God bless Kathleen...x

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Just got back from a couple of weeks in Zanzibar, a way of celebrating my husband’s 80th birthday, seeing as he didn’t want a party or even acknowledge this milestone event.  Our youngest son spends most of the year working  in Dar es Salaam which is just a short ferry hop from Zanzibar and he came over so we had a good time with him, in fact we spent more time with him these past 2 weeks than we’ve done in the past 20 years.  We enjoyed a couple of special days, deep sea fishing where only one big fish (Mahi Mahi) was caught (and barbecued on the beach next day) and we flew over to the mainland another day on a small plane, landing on a dirt airstrip in the middle of a game park, then onto a safari jeep (just us and our driver/guide)  for a whole day observing beautiful wild creatures in their natural habitat. It was very special.  
Now back to central heating, loads of washing and a big supermarket shop is very necessary.  

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

@RadFordee,  just a quick message to say a big Thank You for my card, which I picked up today. It was a lovelly surprise. How did you know I worked at Sheffield park? All in reception asked if I was receivng fan mail. Have I not given you my address? B.

@Beekaywe almost share the same birthday. On 23 November 1957, my mum was vacuuming the stairs when she tripped over the hose and fell down the rest of the flight. She was almost full term with yours truly and thought she had gone into labour but the pains passed off and I stayed put for another week.  However, the experience had a definite effect on me. I was frightened by a vacuum cleaner at a very early age (!) and have a phobia about housework as a consequence!! :wacko:

• Like 1

@Jill Sparrow, I am aware you are a week younger than me, ( plus a little bit more than care to admit to). I found out about a card at Sheffield park when they rang me yesterday to stand me down due to rain. Don't recall anything about my early years, 'cos I was born at a very early age.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My mother spent 5 days (apparently) having me at home in Tollerton. She always reckoned it was worth it. I did too. She used to say that my dad after two boys was leaning on the gate on the lane telling all and sundry that he’d got a daughter. He did actually spoil me rotten bless him. 

• Like 1

Well my day or should I say my week isn’t going well at all. I had a fall a few days ago and fortunately came out fairly well from it but I’m still suffering. I hit the shower door which caved inwards and I hit the base on my knees, arms, hip and across my middle Bruises everywhere, but that’s not all that afternoon I didn’t feel good you can imagine so I went to bed but woke up feeling worse. In short I had covid and have been with a temperature since.  Also I couldn’t keep food down and felt nauseous all the time. So I’m not going anywhere for the time being I’m just trying to figure out the most comfortable position to sit and sleep, watching what I eat and feeling thankful it wasn’t any worse.

Doesn't like a good day at all nonna. What were saying recently about taking care?  ;) Take it easy and get well soon...

You don't believe in doing things by halves, do you nonna?  We bruise easily as we age so I can just imagine what the fall has done to you. My mother used to be covered in bruises at the slightest brush with a solid object.  Snuggle down and get plenty of sleep. It really is the best medicine. Get well soon.

Get well soon nonnaB.     A year ago I had a disagreement with a Concreat  Slab and their was only one winner.

Aww nonna am sending you a big hug gently. Get some arnica on those bruises.

Get better soon 

On 11/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, Brew said:

Tents and sleeping bags are from various charities, no idea where they shower and shave though..

Here's a thought. We can find accommodation for the 8000 odd that arrived in August, but not for the 3000 that had to sleep rough during the same period,,,

It's a significant point until you look deeper, because you aren't  comparing  like with like.

As I understand it, Central Govt. has responsibility to provide accommodation and other support for asylum seekers whilst their claims are processed. This mostly because they are not allowed to work whilst in the claims process, but also, presumably  because you don't want effectively stateless people wandering about willy nilly.

Native homeless, on the other hand, are the responsibility of Local Authorities, who generally  don't  have sufficient cash to cope with the numerous social problems 'dumped' on them by Central Govt.

• Like 1

@nonnaB

Sorry to hear of your woes Nonna. Please rest up and get well soon.

Thankyou everyone for your messages. I should learn to keep quiet in company. The other week my sisters in law who we meet up twice weekly at least we’re having breakfast at the bar when we got talking about health. Now it’s unusual for me to catch a cold and I’ve never had ‘flu so it brought on a discussion. I shouldn’t have said anything because of what I have now. I’ve been lucky in the sense that I’m nearly always well and when I’m not I really do have something that needs attention. Thankyou once again.

Ct Thanks but there’s nothing wrong with my fingers, brain ( I don’t think), arms it’s everything else that’s a bit unworkable but it’s getting there slowly.