• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did he give him a filling ? LOL

Went to the dentist a few days ago, quick visit to get an jmpression for 2 crowns. Got back home and this is mine and hubby's conversation. He's in the office and I'm shouting to him. I'm home. I

May be the same practice I go to RR, but I have to pay more for the pleasure, being a ‘private’ patient (yet my husband is NHS ...... not sure how that happened) i believe some crafty folk get de

Posted Images

I wish I wasn't so frightened, I would change my Dentist to NHS straight away, only because of the cost though. Now that we are both retired, we haven't got as much money to play with.

Even though my Dentist is brilliant with me. I had a bad experience two years ago. I had an extraction and four days later, still bleeding (I'm Taking Warfarin) I was sent to Hospital, where I had a procedure performed, apparently they took away some top jaw,

When the anesthetic had worn off, I have never known pain like it. I sat staring at the wall, trying to Hypnotise myself, with tears running down my face all night. I ended up Black and Blue from my eye to the base of my neck.

So after all the good work my Dentist did, I am still terrified.

I too am petrified of dentists, had the usual treatments under duress as a child and only time they get me in the chair now is in an emergency !

I know I should go, but just cannot conquer my fear.

Like Carni I have had bleeding problems after extractions, abscesses where the offending tooth had to be removed with minimal anesthetic and felt every tug and twist ! only to pass out after the tooth came out.

I have two frontal bridges I had done on Westdale lane just before I emigrated, dentist was a friend at the time, Dr Michael Ackroyd, very good dentist at the time, and he understood my fears and helped me a lot.

He told me they would last 10-15 years, well that was 27 years ago, so I think they are in need now.

After more simple treatments here in oz I am still paranoid and need raging tooth ache to even consider going. On my last visit the dentist said to me that I should consider full anesthetic for any future problems !

Even talking about the bloody dentists here brings me out in a cold sweat.

queens road dentists at beeston ,brilliant I used to be petrified after my experiences at Gedling but they sorted me out and I almost look forward to going !

The worst experience I had was with the school dentist on Chaucer Street, Nottingham. I had to have some extractions, firstly the smell of the gas mask still haunts me today, I wasn't given the option of a needle. But during the extractions I started to come out of the anesthetic, yet the dentist kept twisting and pulling with his pillars, the pain was unbearable. I just cried and cried all the way home with me mam on the bus.

I had to visit QMC for seven stitches once after Hope ripped my gum during some extractions.

The man was next to useless. Hope........ Give up hope all who go there.

This was in the late 60's early 70's. He's probably retired by now.

As a child I went to a dentist on Mansfield Road. The dentist was Mr Arksey (I think that is the correct spelling). He was good and he also looked after my Mum's teeth. He knew I hated injections so he did my fillings without one at my request. In the early 60s he moved to run his own practice at a big house on Private Road, off Mansfield Road up by the Cemetery. Most of his patients there were "private" but he still took care of my teeth on NHS and did a good job. After I left Nottingham in 1972 I still came back for an annual appointment in February half term. Over the years, every time I went to see Mr Arksey he would ask about my exams, my degree course and my job. In February 1982 was my last appointment with him when he explained that he was giving up his practice and going to work at Queen's Medical Centre. I wished him well. I then had to find a new dentist so I went to the one recommended by my husband. I am fortunate in having had a good experience with dental treatment. The key to this is going with personal recommendation and when you find a good one stick with them!

My last nhs check up[last year] cost me £18 pounds i told the dentist my filling came out so he filled it but what happened to the rest off the check up no scale or polish no checking for missing teeth ect; total cost £45 pounds they told me they do not always do them now, what did i pay £18 pounds for?

Dentists can earn much more in private practice so that's what most of them do. You're lucky if you can find a decent NHS these days and you'll only get the minimum treatment and still get charged at least £17 for about a ten minute check.

But at least they're better than opticians, pure daylight robbery.

We pay into Denplan its not fortunes you have an assessment and your monthly payment depends on the condition of your teeth, check ups are paid for and the hygenist some essential treatments are fully covered and cosmetic work is covered at a discounted rate , it works for us!

My brother Stewart Drage has just retired from being a dental surgeon since the 70s. He had surgeries in Bramcote Lane, Derby Road Lenton opposite the Savoy Cinema, East Leake and I'm sure somewhere else but can't remember ! Saved me a fortune over the years and if he ever hurt (which he never did) I always knew I could wallop him!!

• Upvote 1

I never heard from my dentist for 2 years, never gave it a thought that they had not sent for me.........I popped in for some advice and I was told that I had been taken off for not contacting them.........It was Eastwood Dental Centre....... Never known this before - Well they can sod off, if I need treatment, I will find someone else......

Yep ( well Leics border). Born in Hucknall, went to Henry Mellish then Guys Hospital London but came back to Nottingham and has lived here in various villages since.

• 1 year later...

I attended there when I lived at Wollaton. Chris Grey, the ex Scotland Rugby Union player.

Hes a great dentist !

My dentist took £20 per year "Registration" fee.  If you didn't use him you still had to pay. I left him for the NHS and after a couple of years re-joined him on NHS tariffs - no "Registration" fees now.

My first dentist was at Player School Beechdale Road, found this image doctored by one of NS members.

2nd one was Fenton ? Aspley Lane, so teeth polished, haircut by Iliffe's a few doors away and then in to town.

Used a couple in Stapleford, one was closed down by Denplan but lost me a front tooth due to his incompetence.

Now at Queens Road Beeston on Denplan great service at a reasonable cost. The bit I don't understand is the older I become I have less teeth but pay a higher rate.

player-school-clinic-where-you-went-to-be-tortured-or-get-a-bottle-of-hoochee-m_zpstpzosnw6.jpeg

• Upvote 2