Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I think your on the right line Jill and like you i can't remember what it was called. I used to love it when it was piping hot, gran used to tell me that hot bread was bad for you!!. Don't seem to have done me any harm, unless she was referring to memory loss!!

# Waddo, the bread you're on about was "Take And Bake" . They had a problem of the part baked bread going mouldy, the baker soon overcame that problem.

I used to like that bread, rather expensive for a half baked loaf though, so confined to Christmas and other holidays.

Had I known how easy bread baking was, I'd have baked my own back then.

• Like 1

It's interesting that most of the supermarkets (Lidl make a big thing of it) have bakeries within the stores these days - which was unusual a few years ago. Apparently some of the 'fresh' bread is part-baked outside and then re-heated in the store, but it's still a step forward compared with buying sliced in a bag.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

Take And Bake" . They had a problem of the part baked bread going mouldy, the baker soon overcame that problem.

That sounds like the one, i also overcame the problem, i scoffed the lot as soon as it was done!!

39 minutes ago, Ayupmeducks said:

, I'd have baked my own back then.

No good to me, wouldn't know where to start, i can cook boiled eggs, toast, cheese on toast and beans on toast. My attempts at cooking have been as successful as Dani Pedrosa winning a moto gp world title

They were mouldy before reaching the oven though.

Breads easy to bake, bread flour, couple of spoons of sugar, couple of spoons of salt, small amount of lard, water and bread yeast, so easy a caveman could bake it.

I cheat a bit, I use the breadmaker to mix and knead the ingredients, then I place it in two bowls, as I make 2 lbs at a go, place damp tea towel over them, once risen, I knock back, make rolls with the dough and leav to "prove" for an hour, covered with damp tea towels, then bake and enjoy!!

French bread has the reputation of remaining fresh for about five minutes after coming out of the oven.

Something you can do to revive the freshness is to very quickly run the loaf/stick/roll under the tap and place in a hot oven for a few minutes. The bread will come out crisp crusted and nice and soft inside.

• Like 1

I do still miss Waitrose, when we lived in Berkhamsted I never shopped anywhere else and it took me a long time to come to terms with not having one locally when we moved to Nottingham, but driving to Newark seemed a bit daft.... however when they opened one in Wollaton (since closed as even that lot couldn’t afford to shop there) I never once got the urge.  I’ll shop anywhere these days (with the exception of Asda Hyson Green) and get the job done as quickly as possible. 

We’ve got no particular affinity for supermarkets. Waitrose Newark, Morrison’s Netherfield and Lidl Bingham are all about 10 miles away. The closest at 4 miles are the CoOp’s at Southwell or Lowdham. I like Lidl because there’s always something interesting down the middle isle and I have to buy some gadget even though I don’t need it at the time!

I don't like going shopping for food or anything else for that matter.  I usually do a click and collect from Tesco as I find it's quick and convenient to order on line, then Paul goes to pick it up the next day.  I sometimes go for  a Tesco home delivery but only  if I can get a free slot, and have also had deliveries in the past from Ocado, Morrisons and Sainsbury's.  Wish Aldi did home delivery but they don't.

6 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I’ll shop anywhere these days (with the exception of Asda Hyson Green) and get the job done as quickly as possible. 

I seem to recall seeing your car parked in Asda Hyson Green’s car park a while back!

Gas-tar bubbles 

if your road had cobble bricks then ten to one in summer the tar down each gutter would melt and sometimes it would throw in a bubble or two, then your thumb who of cause had a mind of it' s own then would squash the bubble and what you had then was a thumb covered in gas-tar only lard or butter would fetch it off. Plus a good hiding from your mum.

The fifty pack of cigarettes players made did they make a Christmas gift box of 50? Iliked the silver paper in them you put a penny or 3d inthe silver paper pressed it and it engraved the face of the coin on the silver paper.

JPS (John Player Special) in elegant black plastic drums with gold foil lettering. - matched the JPS racing car(s).

They were sold here for a time but they seem to have disappeared completely now. I used to give them as small Christmas presents - the cigarettes, that is, not the cars!.

19 hours ago, philmayfield said:

We use the upmarket one in Bingham. :biggrin:

Only you could come up with an upmarket  brown paper bag...       ;)