Things you don't see anymore

Is that number 31 bus standing outside a school on Mapperley plains? I used to go to Brownies and Guides there in the fifties and thought I recognised the building.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

Oops! Sorry. I knew it was you and yet I still typed Carni. I'm obviously losing my marbles....

• Upvote 1

Is that number 31 bus standing outside a school on Mapperley plains? I used to go to Brownies and Guides there in the fifties and thought I recognised the building.

Looks like it Margie. The terminus for the 31 was almost opposite Somersby Road, top of Central Avenue

Yes, you're both correct.

• Upvote 1

Hazel Grove junior was my old primary school, caught that bus many times, that route I mean obviously.

The terminus used to be closer to Westdale lane outside Dr Evans surgery, remember us all moaning when they moved it further up Woodborough road to outside the school.

• Upvote 2

So we may have used your classroom for the Girl Guide meetings, Banjo! I remember there was a long corridor and we had to practise Semaphore on it - one person stood at one end and the other person had to read and write down the message while standing at the other. We used to play 'kick the can' in the playground and it was on that same playground that I 'flew up' to Guides from Brownies through an long archway made by the other girls. Do kids still play 'kick the can,' I wonder.... I doubt it as they'd have to look up from their phones!!

• Upvote 3

Bob a Job week ! However, I do recall being taken advantage of.

A lady in a huge house, near where I now live, had me weeding her pathways nearly all day.. and I was a grafter. She still only paid me a shilling.

On the other hand, I was known to don my cubs outfit and go Bob-a-Jobbing for my own profit. Well.. what's wrong with a bit of good old initiative?

• Upvote 2

Talking of buses, do they still issue green plastic tokens for school children to use on public transport, or is that something else we don't see any more?

Gas lamposts