Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

If my memory servers me correctly the White boots were made of PVC and fit very tightly to your calf they seemed to go with the Nancy Sinatra song "These Boots Were Made for Walking" don't forget Hot Pants also  this is when Long Skirts and long dresses made a come back, plus bright pink blouses with Frills on, most if  the skirts were made of velvet with a slit up to just past your knee then the rest of the seem had gold buttons on. silly  "Not real Gold" of cause,

I think this is when "Bother hood of Man" won the euro vision song contest maybe date early 1970s.

PS will we not have euro song contest when we leave Europe?    just thought I would ask

Just a bit more was this when "hippes" and purple hearts  came on the scene

• Like 1

Oh yes Mary great days, my friend we thought they'd never end,,we'd sing and dance forever and a day''  set me up for the day Gel,,:rolleyes:

• Like 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, IAN123. said:

A salon scene.I23998034745_958f3a300e_b.jpg

I would like to know which salon this was  if any of you have any idea's, when I started work in a salon we had cubicle's and we had to call the stylist Miss Brown  or Mrs Smith we were not allowed to call them by their first name, how times change. Later on these little salon's which did not keep up with real price,  wages, and unisex salons. some of the hairstylist  would call them "Sweaty Betty's"  I trained 3 years app then two years as an improver and all we were paid was £5 00 a week we had to rely on Tips to boost up our wages.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, IAN123. said:

1964-mods-rockers.jpgA scene outside a Locarno or Capitol every Saturday night.

This one is 1964.

Mods and Rockers what a smashing hair style the chap has. Ian was there more than one Locarno as I only know the one that was at the bottom of St Ann's Well Road. I think this is a picture house as you can see the ABC 

mary1947, I think we're in a different era with the boots and skimpy whatevers. My recollections date pre-1964 and are specifically about students in higher education. Both regarded each other with disdain - which became worse post-1964(ish).

Only one Locarno Mary      Teenbeat tuesday nights 60/61  admission 1/6,, Italian Suit,,Winkle Pickers,,Hair like Billy Fury,,splash of Old Spice,, and away we went,, fast music early on ''bit of rock'n roll''  slow dances last knockings,,       ''Oh Pretty Baby,let me hold you in my arms''      and the floor moved beneath your feet........lol

• Like 2

Don't worry Mary, we are not leaving Europe, we are leaving the European Union and if Eurovision Song Contest is your thing, then the fact that Israel and Australia are included confirms that the organisers are not too bothered anyway!

It still means that the UK will get few votes as usual.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

HI Commo

hate Eurovision song contest last time I saw it was "Sandie Shaw" Puppet on a string 

!!!!!! Benjiman1945     "YOUR MY MAN"  Well said about 1960+ !!!!!!!

Jonab  "" please don't take me to serious,""!!!  I remember 1964 well, as I  married in 1965 never went to university  though my claim to fame for myself that is, at the grand old age of 40 took my O' Level English and passed with flying colours (no scarf though) did manage to get to Nottingham University though as after O' Level  studied 2 years for T/T 730/7 passed, after that I was course coordinator for N.H.T.A. and had to visit and check the health & safety of the salon at the university and  that the  junior at the salon was being given training to the required standard.

• Like 2

San Remo song festival is the same. Both are so boring with animated gaps which are embarrasing.

• Like 1

That photo Oz,,a field just like it or was about 5 years ago when i last went,,on the edge of Bulwell hall park,,lovely pic. mate,

Home and Colonial stores. A chain of stores owned by Julius Drewe. My husband remembers one of their shops. We visited Castle Drogo in Devon last week. Julius Drewe had this built at huge cost. The roof leaks and the National Trust is fixing it. Very interesting going up the scaffolding tower and having the repair process explained. Amazing architecture and well worth the visit. Nice tea shop! To get back onto topic, I do not remember a Home and Colonial in Nottingham. Was there one?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Travelling on a corpo bus i noticed no signs anymore requesting children paying reduced fares should give up seats to full fare paying passengers.

Annoys me to see kids & some adults blocking a seat with a shopping bag. It never happened in my day . Trouble is the country is full of Snowflakes these days. Where everything wrong is encouraged.

• Like 3

There was a Home & Colonial Stores in Berkhamsted, Herts (where we used to live before coming back to Nottingham). For at least the past 20 years the building has been home to several different antique dealers, housed on 5 floors and also includes a fabulous tea shop on the top floor.  Used to go in there a lot to have lunch and a poke around the antiques.  There’s still a ghost sign outside.   

D6_BAD7_BD-16_F0-453_F-9_AF6-839_CAD8668EBF87_C28-3151-4_BB6-_AFD3-_C019_F3_C892

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, BilboroughShirley said:

To get back onto topic, I do not remember a Home and Colonial in Nottingham. Was there one?

More than one Shirley , though not sure how many lasted until our era . The one on Arkwright Street was still going in 1950 .

This was an advert from 1927:

42591305804_ef273b874a_b.jpg

• Like 4

Remember a few in the 60s...........Long Eaton high street,,i'm sure had one just a few doors from Marsdens,,

Just remembered one in the 'Precinct' Coalville 64/65,, It was in the days when grocers like this had a 'Bacon' window' the one Coalville was opposite the 'Thrifty' store i managed...........and we were constantly looking at each others display,,and prices,,we finally agreed to keep the prices the same........so the sales would rely on the Displays,,