katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

It's  a good job we did'nt use super glue for our Airfix planes.

My father had one to i used it to shoot at crows and rooks it also could shoot the different  colored darts. I was about 10 years old at the time.

I’ve just found it and it’s actually a Webley Junior. I do have an old BSA but that’s a .22. I bought that from a friend who lived in a flat in Mapperley Park where he used to take potshots from his bedroom window! I do have a more modern Theoben Rapid 7 which has a 7 shot .22 cartridge and is powered by compressed air and charged up from a diver’s bottle.

The thread, "Keep one, Drop", that I were on. Been back pages and pages but none that have me on. Just a new thread started by Ian Finn, 10 hours ago. Is this a normal occurrence when a thread is full?

Just a guess BK, but I think, because there's no reason to refer back as you can in other posts, once so many have been submitted, the previous pages are deleted. Otherwise, there would be zillions of pages for the word game. Might be wrong but that's how I see it,  but I'm no computer buff.

Remember when isolation & social distancing was all the rage?

They’re all queuing for chips at Skeggie, no doubt berating Dominic Cummings or saying ‘if he can do it so can I, except of course that he kept his distance. I foresee another lock down.

• Like 1

West Bridgford park solid yesterday afternoon with most bars & cafes doing takeouts, street party come rave in Top Valley last night (both areas of Nottingham) was well attended hit the 100 mark :Shock:

Can't help thinking some people need protecting from themselves. Obviously the deaths of some 50,000 people has not registered with them and what the result of not being cautious could be. I agree with you Phil, another lockdown is on the cards and next time it could be even more severe.

• Like 1

Saw the pictures on the Beeb of the beach where idiots hurt themselves jumping of a cliff. There have must have been couple of thousand people in the crowd watching the helicopter land.

Lemmings have more sense. I am convinced the human race is a lost cause.  Let them get on with it but the NHS has more important work to do than pick up their broken pieces.

• Like 2

A bit like the Morons who climb Snowdon etc., wearing only Jean's and teeshirt , then rely on some poor sods  bailing them out when they get in trouble.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Saw the pictures on the Beeb of the beach where idiots hurt themselves jumping of a cliff. There have must have been couple of thousand people in the crowd watching the helicopter land.

That is at Durdle Door near Lulworth Cove in Dorset. A most beautiful place. I have visited the area every year since 1975 missing only one year. Now we’ve more time and are a bit better off we usually go at least twice a year. I was due to go the start of this month but I had no eye test planned so couldn’t go. If I had the money and no family ties here I’d be off down there like a shot to live.

• Like 2

"No eye test planned".  :rotfl:

On 2/1/2020 at 5:32 PM, IAN FINN said:

Parking lights on cars the type that clip on the side window saved many bruised knuckles and push starting.

Here's one from my little museum of 20th century tat, Ian.

IMG-2705.jpg

Here's summat as you don't see anymore. A 1lb jar of jam with a golly on the lid. I was digging out a hedge to extend my little orchard when my garden fork came up with it stuck on the prongs. I wonder...1. How long has it been there? (We've been here 26yrs and it's not ours); 2. When did they stop using imperial measures for jam jars? and 3. The hedge is mature so think of the quality of manufacture that has kept it so good for so long underground.

golly-jam.jpg

• Like 1

Alert, Alert, you can't show Gollies anymore.

Unless o fcourse it's for historical interest only.

We went half Metric in the early 70's so may have been before then

Of course the Jam jar may have had screws or nails stored in it in a shed for 30 years.

• Like 2

I remember children at school collecting the paper gollies hidden behind the label. When you had collected enough, you could send for an enamelled golly brooch. They were rather nice.

My mum, born in 1926, always said the golly was her favourite toy as a child.  One of her friends bought her a golly for her 75th birthday. She loved it!

• Like 2

You can still buy them Jill, in some souvenir shops. It was possible to make collection sets. I remember one set consisted of musicians forming a band. There was all different sorts, sports etc. All were very popular.

• Like 1

You're right, Beekay. I was never a collector myself but many were. We had Robertson's marmalade and I always gave the golly tokens to a friend who collected them.

Here's an enamel Golly brooch from Robertson's that I have in my little museum of 20th century tat:

golly.jpg

• Like 6