What was your Co-op Divi number?

Wasn't it when they brought in "instant divi" - i.e. stamps? - late 60s/early 70s maybe?

Here it is : 1965 Dividend Stamps introduced as an alternative to traditional divi. Individual societies had their own schemes. National dividend stamp scheme brought in by the CWS in 1969.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember I was a patient at the Children's Hospital and the Doctor said I could go home and did I know my Mum's telephone number. No I said but I know her Co op number it's 92092

3009 - Varney Road, Clifton I can remember going in there with my Mum, who would look down her nose at people who asked for 'tick' (credit) or those who bought margarine instead of butter! I remembe

Do you remember that a lot of the co-op shops had a central cashier, and all the different departments were connected to her by an aerial despatch system. They put your money and check in the containe

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

A long time ago now and very late on the post.

10741 at the co-op on junction of Middleton Boulevard/Wollaton Road.

Wonder if it is still there.

Certainly remember the big shop on Parliament street. If I remember correctly the internal bills were passed by tube on a vacuum machine. Someone may correct me though.

Thanks for the photo's

Thank you so much Cliff Ton. I am amazed. I was sure it would have gone years ago. The last time I was in there getting the usual butter and milk was in about 1949. Silver surfer you see.

The two lovely buildings either side I always admired.

I used to live in Dalby Square just off Farndon Green, Wollaton Park

Cheers all, from the south of France

• 2 months later...

How funny it is that you can remember your mums divi number after all those years. Ours was 13920. We shopped at the co - op on Strelley road which was split up into 3 separate shops... Butchers, Greengrocery and then the main shop that sold everything else.

These large numbers obviously reflect the huge size of the Co-op society in Nottingham.

When I were a lad, we belonged to Ripley Co-op Society which was much smaller. My mum and aunt who usually went shopping together had their own separate numbers, they were 4825 and 4927.

My mum joined the main Nottingham Co-op in 1939 when she got married. Her number was 9253.

Anybody on here know anyone with a lower number?

• 2 weeks later...

#171 Katyjay, yes it was 107353, but before that it was a four-figure number beginning with 3 (3xxx). This, I would imagine was mam's number at the Cinder Hill Co-op. Note Cinder Hill was two words in those days (I still spell it that way). Strangely, the No.1 Branch was on David Lane, Old Basford, near the crossings, and not in Cinder Hill itself.

Note Cinder Hill was two words in those days (I still spell it that way). Strangely, the No.1 Branch was on David Lane, Old Basford, near the crossings, and not in Cinder Hill itself.

I think the two options existed side-by-side. In the 1830s it was clearly one word.

cinder.jpg

Chulla, I remember both those branches well, although it was the Cinderhill one I was sent to. Didn't know we used to have a 4 digit number though. Boy, those shop assistants earned their daily bread (no pun intended) running back and forth getting your shopping list filled.