Caz

The Old Market Square

I'd forgotten the sawdust on the ground floor but, yes, it was there. It gave a characteristic "perfume" to the whole establishment.

My memory lapse was possibly due to us congregating on the balcony bar (can't remember what it was called) near to where the Talbot Trio had their setup - no sawdust up there.

• Like 1

The upstairs at Yates's was quite refined, with copper topped tables, and so called weak 'champagne ' on draught ! 

The little off licence on Market St was well stocked too I recall.

• Like 2

I seem to recall you could exit Yates's upstairs by a passageway..brought you at the side of their off license...handy to stock up if you were heading to a house party.

• Like 2

Yes, you could.

Scenes from the Square.trolley_2.jpg42 & 43 Trolley bus queue.burton_2.jpgCouncil House casts a Summer shadow..Burtons sun canopy and a busy 50's Pelham St.black_2.jpgThe ornate canopy of The Black Boy Hotel.beastmarket.jpgBy way of contrast...one rainy Beastmarket Hill..for Commo!

Looks like shopfitting or real boarding up next to The Bell.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Scenes from the Square.trolley_2.jpg42 & 43 Trolley bus queue.burton_2.jpgCouncil House casts a Summer shadow..Burtons sun canopy and a busy 50's Pelham St.black_2.jpgThe ornate canopy of The Black Boy Hotel.beastmarket.jpgBy way of contrast...one rainy Beastmarket Hill..for Commo!

Looks like shopfitting or real boarding up next to The Bell.

I didn’t frequent the Black Boy but I remember when I was in my very early teens it was a trendy spot for the young ladies. I knew many in their late teens and early

twenties who were attracted by the MG TD set that hung out there.

• Like 1

Some photographs showing various stages of construction of Hucknall  architect Howitts Council House.58446.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgThe Poultry side in 1927.439dc9e166ca86b208212717eea04b9c.jpgGirders in the Shopping Arcade.96d2fa5ff784300127e11da43f565020.jpgConstruction in the background...and the plate market in the foreground.6fea396d242f986244fde6d0095beaf2.jpgDome in scaffolding.nottingham-undated-1950s.jpgworks on the balcony.

• Like 1

Not sure...but centre of the bottom photo is a large factory ( next to chimney.) Wondering if that's the place that was gutted by fire and subseqeuntly replaced by the Gaumont Cinema?

Not sure of that Ian. Looks to me like it could be a view from top of Griffin's looking towards Moot Hall bottom of Friar lane. Which would put the factory in the Castle Gate area. On the left is the building on the corner of S Parade/Wheeler gate

• Like 1

Think you are right Willow.

Where the Bovril sign is ..was that where 'The Ten Shilling Tailor' was ?

Thanks.

• Like 1

There's a thread on 'stalgia titled 'The Last Tailor in Nottingham'.

It puts the Ten Bob Tailor on Beast market Hill, so it was around there, it closed in 1977 according to beanbag1216.

On the right of the picture somewhere is the Truman's longbar, I went in once only in 1960 and thought it was old and worn out and no place for a young teenager.

• Like 2

David Lyons retired recently after 32 years minding Little John and our Council House clock.Clock-_Nottingham-council-house.jpgClock Face.

Davids final wind.Whats_App-_Image-2017-09-22-at-11.01.51.under the bell in 2017.

Council House Chimes on film.nottingham_council_house_anderson-19.jpgThe Bells!Capture-4.jpgDavid cites Millenium at Midnight as his most memorable time in 32 years..

" with a hot toddy, my Son and thousands in the square".

• Like 2

truman2.jpgWillow mentioned Trumans the other day ..was it a Vaults?...looks tired anyway.

Thanks for the reminder WW.

• Like 1

59956.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgA view from Moot Hall?...1930..a new Council House & Square.69949.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgCouncil Arcade with new murals...1929.

• Like 2

58445.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgphotograph of the High Steet and Cheapside...1930.59961.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgAlderman Bowles lays the foundation stone...1927.

£429.000 was the build total...with an added £40.000 on furnishings.

• Like 2

Alderman Bowles with a fag in his hand. How things have changed!

• Like 1

Thanks for the photos of the Council House and slab square IAN , these are how I love to remember the centre and loved my time going down  there. How I wish it could go back to how it was in the 60s instead of the anonymous slabs we have now.

• Like 3

Pleasure Trogg. Some of them were commisoned by the Architect himself..the Arcade one is super!

It was a nice place at one time..i'd wager it does'nt stay in the present form for more than 20 years.

• Like 2

I think that is a sure fire bet, they just don't appreciate quality or is it age will not let me accept change.

• Like 1

I think it is a mixture of both..architecture is a fashion of the time..in some cases.The Council House is a classic design..probably now, as well as then.Like the cenotaph by Lutyens.I think someone posted on here about Post - War attitudes towards almost everything.

In terms of age..i..and maybe others are selective in embracing change.

I dislike the moderness of the internet..but love the John Mills films and rare blues and rock on Youtube.

Having said that...i would prefer thumbing thru' LPs at Bradleys than scrolling a playlist ..( waffling now.)

The square still is for the people of Nottm...but it seems geared now towards a younger population..or Granparents holding bags & shoes whilst kids paddle and ride white knuckle Mellors moneyspinners.

Sali Army and the bible bashers anyday!

• Like 1

The times they are a changing ! Not for the better I dare say.