First single was Baby Face - Little Richard from a record shop on Radford Rd near Wilkinson St.

This was followed by Dreamin' - Bobby Darin. From then on all my cash went on records by Everly Bros, Buddy Holly, Del Shannon, Duane Eddy etc.

Most Saturday mornings were spent at the second hand record stall on Central Market searching out anything on London, London Atlantic, Pye International and Coral labels before going on to Vic Station for a good days train spotting. Great days indeed.

First album was either the Animals or Stones first. From then on it's been a constant outlay on records, cassettes, CD's, gigs, festivals, beer, cars, steaks, clothes, Forest, beer. At least I've enjoyed myself.

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HUH, I just asked Chris, What was the first single he bought. After a moments thought he said. Dave Berry...The Crying Game, he said he remembered, because a girl had just packed him in. We looked it

First single was Baby Face - Little Richard from a record shop on Radford Rd near Wilkinson St. This was followed by Dreamin' - Bobby Darin. From then on all my cash went on records by Everly Bros,

The last time I went down to see my Daughter they had already been on the web finding out how much some of them were worth, must admit I was astounded at some of the results they had come up with. If

Well if Cliff Ton paid 6/8p for a single in 1967 I suppose my memory has failed me (again), in 1962/63 when I made my first record purchase it would have probably have cost about 5 bob ........

I think they were about 3/6 in the early 60's.

A great thing about the early 60's groups such as the Stones, Animals, Downliners Sect, Yardbirds, Fleetwood Mac and John Mayall was that their albums contained mainly covers, so I looked at who had written these songs and bought records by them .

This led me on to records by Solomon Burke, Arthur Alexander, Willie Dixon, Lightnin' Hopkins, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, BB King and many more innovators of music that is still popular today.

It was a difficult thing to achieve in pre Google and Wikipedia days.

Some of the best albums I acquired in the early 60's were compilations such as "This is the Blues" vols 1 & 2, and "The Sue Story" vols 1 & 2.

Fabulous albums and fabulous memories of great parties, great gigs and endless fun.

• Upvote 1

Commo, my first LP was also Please Please me by the Beatles. I got it for my 12th Birthday in 1963. Long gone though. I reckon I must have played it smooth.

My first single was Putting on the Style by Lonnie Donnegan. It was a 78 and I used to play it on my old wind up gramaphone when I was 9 or 10, along with stuff like Water Water and Handful of Songs by Tommy Steele, Diana by Paul Anka and various Elvis numbers.

The first record I bought was ' The Buddy Holly Story' in 1961/62, I think. An LP with all of his well known hits. I still have a copy in CD format.

Buying singles,(first one 'Runaway' Del Shannon), was an addiction every Saturday afternoon, on the way home from my ' delivery boy' job at BPS green grocers.

Going off topic, there is a thread some where about jeans we use to wear as young teenagers, I could not remember the brand name of my first pair of jeans, they were 'Lee Cooper', ice blue with 3 inch turn-ups.That came into my head while remembering ' stuff ' I bought with my 15/- delivery job wage.

think my first single was twinkles terry and leader of the pack only my older brother had a record player at the tume so had to wait till he had gone out before i could play my recordsanother one of my favorites was my little sister rides a motorbike a rocker through and through. that was one of my brothers collection

First single was Baby Face - Little Richard from a record shop on Radford Rd near Wilkinson St.

This was followed by Dreamin' - Bobby Darin. From then on all my cash went on records by Everly Bros, Buddy Holly, Del Shannon, Duane Eddy etc.

Most Saturday mornings were spent at the second hand record stall on Central Market searching out anything on London, London Atlantic, Pye International and Coral labels before going on to Vic Station for a good days train spotting. Great days indeed.

First album was either the Animals or Stones first. From then on it's been a constant outlay on records, cassettes, CD's, gigs, festivals, beer, cars, steaks, clothes, Forest, beer. At least I've enjoyed myself.

Like you memories.

I spent many an hour at the record stall in Central Market.

Pete would save me any Ricky Nelson records, I gave him a list of those I had not got, and any others he came across he'd save for me. Grand chap, he started me listening to Trad Jazz, Acker Bilk and Ken Colyer mainly.

• 2 weeks later...

My first single was Stay, by The Hollies, but only because the Clifton Co-op had sold out of whatever Beatles single had just come out. Mum & Dad had bought me & my sister a red Dansette for Christmas and we had to have something to play on it! My first LP was the first Rolling Stones one, again bought for me by my mum.

The first LP I bought with my own wages (late '66) was John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton (the Beano album), again from Clifton Co-op. After that they came thick & fast, often bought second-hand from the shop at the bottom of Arkwright St (Selectadisc's first location?) and later from Selectadisc on Goldsmith St & then Market St. Sad to see it go, I was quite a regular. I'm now to be found in FOPP, usually back-cataloguing.

Like others here, I still have a lot of 45s & LPs never played, all boxed up in the garage!

• 5 months later...

My first record that I bought was a 78 rpm - Dean Martin singing When You're Smiling. Still got it. This was 1953; records by British artists on Decca and Parlaphone cost five shillings. Those with American artists - Capitol, Brunswick and Phillips cost five and sixpence halfpenny. The best record shop in those days was Hindley's on Clumber Street; long established. In fact I have a Graphaphone cylinder-record machine bought from there by my dad's aunt - she emigrated to America in 1923 and its been in the family ever since. If you were into classical music then Farmers was the best bet.

Top artists in the early fifties were: Frankie Laine, Guy Mitchell, Doris Day, Jo Stafford and others. In Britain there were David Whitfield, Dickie Valentine and others. You did not hear much of the top tunes on the BBC in those days, apart from Jack Jackson's weekly show. I believe there was a policy of not playing a record more than once on the same day.

Then came skiffle, with Lonnie Donegan - what a sensation that was, before he went 'commercial' with his silly songs. And then rock and roll, and things were never the same again. The balladeers continued their crooning; their lyrics being genuinely sentimental, unlike today's lot who wouldn't know sentiment if it kicked up the backside. I sometimes wonder if the young of today will look back on their early days of record collecting in the same way as we of the fifties generation do. Doubt it.

• Upvote 1

Not first, but a very early single in my collection, bought from a small second hand shop on the right of the bottom of Mansfield Road just past where the Victoria Centre is now.

A little known track, and a version of this I believe by this group?

Never was a big singles record buyer, but the first and probably last was "Paperback Writer" by the Beatles. More of an LP person at the time as IMO far far better value (I've always been a skinflint).

Some of my best was "Far side of the Moon" Pink Floyd, "Deja Vue" Crosby Stills Nash & Young and many many more.

When I emigrated my son got the lot and made quite a killing selling them on ebay recently as most were mint condition.

Like many others I finished up with a large collection of vinyl covering decades and when cassettes came along they were all thrown into an old suitcase and put in the loft. about two years ago my daughter and her partner bought a record deck and asked me for them. I thought they would have to throw most away as a lot of them had seen to many parties, but no they cleaned them up and played them, the highlight of their christmas party was the guests picking stuff they had never heard of and playing and dancing to them. My daughter told me that the most played disc of the evening was Bunny Sigler's "Let The Goodtimes Roll & Feel So Good".

Like many others I finished up with a large collection of vinyl covering decades and when cassettes came along they were all thrown into an old suitcase and put in the loft. about two years ago my daughter and her partner bought a record deck and asked me for them. I thought they would have to throw most away as a lot of them had seen to many parties, but no they cleaned them up and played them, the highlight of their christmas party was the guests picking stuff they had never heard of and playing and dancing to them. My daughter told me that the most played disc of the evening was Bunny Sigler's "Let The Goodtimes Roll & Feel So Good".

Hang on to them.......they will be worth a few bob. Notice you post regular on the Dungeon site and if your records are Motown, 60's soul or Northern Soul get them valued.

Hang on to them.......they will be worth a few bob. Notice you post regular on the Dungeon site and if your records are Motown, 60's soul or Northern Soul get them valued.

The last time I went down to see my Daughter they had already been on the web finding out how much some of them were worth, must admit I was astounded at some of the results they had come up with. If they make anything then they are welcome to it as they won't be inheriting any fortune from us, the wife and I have decided to spend it!

• Upvote 2

My first single was a 78. Bought from a record shop (remember those?) on Hyson Green. It was my 'Goose Fairing' , ie a Goose Fair present, from my grandparents. (I was an only child of only children, hence very spoiled in terms of the 'olden days'.)

It was Jim Dale, 'You Shouldn't Do That'. Never heard of it? ......."oh oh oh, you shouldn't do that, oh oh oh, you shouldn't do that, oh oh oh, you shouldn't do that, well you know that you shouldn't do tha a at. Just one little hug, you'll fly around like a lightening bug.' Etcetera. Just thank your lucky stars you're reading it not listening to me sing it!

• Upvote 2

I can't remember the first single I actually bought - I think some were bought for me. I did have some 78's including one by Rosemary Clooney but don't know the title. 45's came out the year I was born but probably the first I do remember was 'Hoots Mon' by Lord Rockingham's XI.

RRRRRR Fabian all the girls at school went mad on him he was so nice looking, as they say now days the man is fit we all went to the flicks to see him in The Alamo also I think he was in a flim called Fanny oh to be young again.

This message should be an answer to mgread 1200

sorry if its in the wrong place

My first single record was

"Poetry in Motion" Johnny Tiltson 7/6 not sure if his name is spelt right