Annoying phone calls

Has anyone else had this phone call?3times this past fortnight I've had the same one,it goes like this...

Caller....hello mrs .......,you live at.........your postcode is.....you had mortgage many years back......you are aged between 20-74....

Me,yes...yes...yes....yes until the last one when I lied and said no,they then put the phone down on me.Whats behind this call I wonder.How do they know my details?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just say "hang on a minute while I turn the TV sound down" then leave the phone on the shelf leaving the caller to wait until they get fed up with waiting ! Or blow a loud whistle down the phone !

If you aren't busy... Invent your own language Pretend to be stupid Question everything they say Keep saying the same phrase over and over again (such as "Oh, I see") Ask them if they want to buy

Some idiot offered me a "free" conservatory I just told him I lived on the seventeenth floor of a tower block.

I just say "hang on a minute while I turn the TV sound down" then leave the phone on the shelf leaving the caller to wait until they get fed up with waiting !

Or blow a loud whistle down the phone ! One of my favourites !

• Upvote 4

I never answer the phone nowadays if I don't recognise the caller as it's usually about an accident I don't recall or claiming PPI when I've never had a loan or credit card. It's a mystery to me too how they seem to know all your details - I think they get 'sold on' at some point.

• Upvote 1

I think the phone calls I am getting are from other countries,they sound as if they are in a call centre. You can hear background noises,and they always have a foreign accent.

• Upvote 1

If you aren't busy...

Invent your own language

Pretend to be stupid

Question everything they say

Keep saying the same phrase over and over again (such as "Oh, I see")

Ask them if they want to buy something of yours (eg, tell them you've got a car for sale)

• Upvote 4

# 6, TRICKYMICKY, I do just the same. I shout at the caller and give them a real hard time. I know they're only trying to earn a living but what a terrible time they must have. We've been getting a lot of calls from Indian sounding people from a Swedish telephone number. The problem is that we get several international calls every day that are genuine and very often the phone only displays 'International' so we have to answer it.

• Upvote 1

The people must be thick skinned beyond belief.

• Upvote 1

for about 6 years we had the same call every day between 4:30 & 6:00 for a Mr Ayre, whoever he was, Sandra would slam the phone down, i would try to explain, every time, Mr Ayre dont live here, never lived here, the only reason we had the phone on was for Dad, when he was alive, quite ill and would call us anytime day or night for us to go help him, the last call, after he passed away i told the caller quite calmly, for me that is, this phone is now a dead phone, deceased, no longer beeping, its been unconnected ever since, far as i can tell never been missed, any calls needed i use me mobile.

Register your Phone No. with the TPS. This will stop unsolicited calls (from within this country) from sales people. You can contact your phone service provider and ask them to block calls from people that have their number withheld.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

Neither of these methods will prevent incoming calls from overseas (withheld number or not), nor will it prevent calls from survey companies.

But it will filter a lot of the spam calls out. If one manages to get through, ask them if they are interested in taking out a new mobile phone contract and claiming back PPI that they never had.

If you're a male and the caller is female, just start talking dirty, they will terminate the call pretty quickly!

Same really goes the other way around, although I don't think a bloke will hang up on you too fast..Probably a good way for women, would be accuse the caller of being a peedo after her kids...LOL

• Upvote 1

We finally got rid of our landline. We were getting almost nothing but telemarketers. I gave some of them a hard time but finally thought, why am I paying for this? Just raises my blood pressure. Haven't had many on our mobiles. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If its somebody who is genuine they can leave a message. I regard the phone as MINE. I will not pay for their trash.

• Upvote 1

I've got Caller Display and if I don't recognise the number calling I don't answer it and then I block the number (got the facility to do so on my phone). I'm on the TPS but still get rubbish calls left on my answering machine.

• Upvote 1

Some cold-calling companies are now getting very crafty. They use your local STD code so when you see the number displayed, you assume it's someone calling from nearby. Apparently, I've got £2800 waiting for me for my accident. Shame I've never had one.

I've got over 3k from a PPI....... Tossers !

You wouldn't believe it. On the settee posting and some twerp rings me about my banking. I wondered what he was on about for a moment.. He was swiftly told to go and urinate.

I don't say anything. When I'm interrupted with the 'hi guys' whilst out and about, I just walk past and ignore them. If I'm cold-called, I say 'just a minute' and put the handset down but don't end the call. I just leave it there until they get fed up.

I've got a sign on my front door I got from the council, saying we don't buy at the door. Most of the ignorant gits pretend they haven't seen it. I think the slammed door in the face must often offend.

I have THREE(different ) notices on my loungewindow/front door & still the chuggers still knock.

If I'm in a good mood I usually open the door point to athe notice on the front door & shut it again without speaking.

If I'm in a bad mood I'm really offencive & most are really shocked(stupid ********s)

A couple of years ago I was stopped in the street & asked if I'd had an accident ?

I replied why do you want one?

End of conversation :jumping:

Walking with a friend when one of these approached him...friend said..."Are you disabled?"...bloke said "No"....friend said..."Would you like to be?" He retreated rapidly.

• Upvote 1

When my mum lived in Bilborough she got sick of double glazing salespeople cold calling. Finally she told them that she was not interested as she was moving house. They asked if they could contact her at her new address. Mum said "no, I am moving to a lighthouse". That got rid of them. A neighbour got fed up of the calls about cavity wall insulation so they said they would have a quote. The man arrived to find a council house with solid concrete walls. This put a stop to the calls!

I'm never rude to these foreign callers because it's probably the only work they can get. The calls are very annoying though. I usually tell them that they need to speak to my father and ask them to wait while I get him. I then just put the phone to one side. I have to answer the unknown calls at the moment because it could be the hospital for my wife. I got a call a few days ago and a polite asian lady told me she wasn't selling anything but wanted to speak about some business or other. She said that she'd be very brief. I told her I knew she would and hung up. :biggrin: