Living in the same place for a long time

When my parents got married in the late 1940s they lived with various relatives until moving into a newly-built house at Clifton in 1952. They lived there almost their entire married lives, only going into a warden-aided place in 1996. They never moved in 44 years, which also means that I (and my sister) never moved house in the years we were growing up.

Other people I know (including quite a few Nottstalgians) have lived all over Nottingham, the UK or the world, moving several times during their lives. But how many others can match my parents for spending 44 years in the same house.

Mother in law, was offered a new house in Clifton, probably a little before your parents, she turned it down and was offered a new house in Wollaton, she is still in that house.

When I see her tomorrow I will ask her what year it was.

My parents moved into their council house in July 1938. Dad died Aug 1987 and mum in March 1998. She almost made 60 years in the same house.

• Upvote 2

My parents lived in the same house in the Meadows from 1952 until 1986, when I eventiually got them to move to Bingham. My mother's still there today aged 93.

I lived in the Meadows house until I got married aged 20. Within the next ten years I'd had six different houses in Notts, Suffolk and London. I've lived in the same house since 1983.

My parents moved from a rented house in Netherfield into a brand new house with a mortgage in 1958. Mum passed away in 1988 but Dad was still there until 2013, so 45 years.

Mam and Dad 56 years in their Bestwood estate home,.......always had good caring neighbours......don't think many places have that friendlyness nowadays.

• Upvote 2

I'm inclined to think it's a generational thing. Our parents and grandparents survived two world wars. They were probably glad to have a stable little place of their own. Many of them worked at the same job for years. Railway, Players, Raleigh, Boots and other steady firms. They retired with a gold watch.

Later generations. (Most of us here). Grew up in a new environment of upward mobility. We wouldn't hesitate to change jobs, houses and even countries if we believed the opportunities were better.

Longest I have lived anywhere was Calgary, Alberta. Fifteen years in the same house. Then moved because of job change.

I think as we age there is less desire to move. We have now been in our current house for eleven years and have no desire to move until they carry me out of here or I have to move into some type of care place. I hope not I'd rather die.

Sorry for long post. Just my take on it. It's a good topic.

• Upvote 3

Ive been lucky,moved about alot,due to job and Divorces,and have always had neighbours ive got along with,.......sensible folk make allowances for other peoples lifestyle,...........and always found a sense of humour helped,.......its nice where i live now,but would have no 2nd thoughts about moving again if summat took my fancy........like to think even at 70,the Fat Lady is not singing yet........lol.

• Upvote 2

Parents lived in Sutton in Ashfield then bought a house in Garnet St when I was about 3.

Then on to Bridlington St till I was 13. An improvement ensued with a move to Truro Crescent behind the Capitol picture house till about 63, before moving into a new home in Wollaton.

I left in 69. Attenborough, Beeston, Wollaton, Saxondale, Basford. Where next? Who knows.

Not literally I hope Catfan!

• Upvote 2

RE # 7, I bet some wished that you had left too hippo. Only joking..... Ouch ! That hurt !

My dad bought his house in about 1935, as a new-build, a year before he married, and lived there until he died in 2002. So 67 years in the same house!

He and my mum did consider moving to a bungalow in the 1970s, when he retired, but couldn't bear the thought of moving from the home they brought their five kids up in. The final three of us were actually born there.

• Upvote 1

I shall have been at my present address for 57 years come July. Somewhat longer than either of my parents lived here. My father wanted to move on after my mother died (he needed someone to do his dinners and his dotty washing) and I bought the place off him.

• Upvote 1