DJ360

How's your day?

Got your priorities right there PP, seasoned oak before garden anytime

Rog

No trike ride today,weekly shop at Sainsbury's,early as well got there about 06.15 and back home by 07.20 done and dusted, had to clear the frost off the car first though, I thought we would have a nice day once the frost had cleared but it clouded over and stayed damp all day, expected really though this time of the year, did get the trike out of the bike shed though and adjusted the disc brake on the rear wheel, the pads were only rubbing on one side of the disc so I had to bring the idle side pad in a touch so the pads touch the disc at the same time,(floating disc) phone call from the environmental department of North Kesteven council,the guy wants to come and see me next week with regards to the chimney smoke problem from next door, yesterday her son was there cutting up more wood,4 hours of more or less non stop chain sawing, bloody noise, I know nothing will happen about the smoke and it will continue but I can't think of anything else that can be done,I've filled in all the complaints forms for nearly five years and posted them to the council every month sometimes every week and nothing has happened,but we'll see but I'm not going to hold my breath (well I'll have to when I go outside because of the smoke :rotfl:)

Anyroad I hope you have all had a great day

Rog

• Like 3

The 3 foot diameter oak wheel is going to be 2 1/2 feet due to lack of materials. Should still do the job though. Now - here's a poser for the engineers on here. How have I turned a 30" dia wheel on a Myford 7? I proved that it could be done and will finish the wheel tomorrow. Cidre time now - just poured a pint of the golden nectar - that will soak up the oak dust from my throat. :biggrin:

• Like 1

Did you lay the rough shaped wheel on an axle allowing the wheel to be the correct height on the bed and use a type of router bit in the chuck then turn the wheel slowly by hand?

Rog

• Like 1

No a Myford 7  can turn a maximum diameter of 7" over the bed and 10" by 1.5" thick in the gap; between centres the ML7 can handle material up to 20" in length and the Super 7 19" - or both a little more if you allow the tailstock to overhang the end of the bed. Though I have a nagging memory of some guy modifying a ML7 so that both headstock and tailstock could be independently moved vertically.

I have a Murad Bormilathe that does that but even so not to "swing" a 30" diameter piece. I note that the word used was "turn" ...................................

• Like 1

Lovely day yesterday. After wanting a kenwood cooking chef for ages I finally got one PLUS a gorgeous little teacup chihuahua colour champagne, 2 months old called Kiri. Next week we are also taking her sister black and white long haired. She still has to have her  vaccination. Kiri is so sweet , she weighs 594 grammes. Will try to post a pic. Now we will have 4 dogs. One cross chihuahua/ pinscher , one pure pinscher and the two chihuahuas. The pischer. is too curious whilst the cross is frightened and doesnt want to know. Kiri growls and snaps at the pinscher, its quite funny but we have to be careful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lateral thinking Plantfit :cool:  1,  Remove tailstock.  2, remove tool post. 3 drill 7/16" hole in centre of rough wheel. 4, mount wheel on 7/16" tool post bolt and fasten down fairly tight so that it can just be revolved horizontally. 5, Assemble 2" dia hole boring cutter with 1 3/4" cutter inside to form a mill. 6, fit 'mill' in chuck. 7, Adjust cross slide so that centre of wheel is positioned in line with operators side of mill. 8, offer the edge of wheel to mill and turn wheel by hand. It's a bit slow because the hole boring tool is not intended for milling, so 2m/m cuts max. But it works :biggrin:

• Like 1

Don't know whether that's correct P/P, but Ben should be along soon with the definitive answer.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Lovely item on news about Marley the army sniffer dog, received the Dickens Medal for bravery.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant brave dog, made me laugh when his handler said he tried to eat his medal, lol.... Read a book from Hucknall library a few months age called  *All about Treo* by Dave Heyhoe.  It's about a handler & his bomb/IED sniffer dog Treo in Afghanistan, it was a great read, I couldn't put it down....

10 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

the edge of wheel to mill and turn wheel by hand

Thats what I meant,turn wheel by hand

Rog

Speaking of Ben...  Where is he?  :unsure:

Not seen since Nov. 11th...

Col

Yesterday we went and finally picked out worktops and cupboard styles for our new kitchen.  I know I'm going on about this but the kitchen was always neglected in favour of kid's education etc., when we were really struggling and I was in and out of work due to redundancy, health issues, full time study etc.  So, it is VERY overdue for replacement.  I can't wait.  It was never going to be easy as Mrs Col tends to go for stuff purely on looks, whereas I'm always thinking 'How easy is that going to be to clean?'  I hate anything in the kitchen that's a dust or grease trap. I like smooth cupboards, no grooves or fancy bits and definitely no 'sticky out' handles.   Anyway we compromised.  Mrs Col got to say what she liked and I got to say what we were having...  :laugh:.  Not really.. I think we're both happy. 

We have until Weds coming to get everything out of the cupboards and temporarily set up a basic microwave and kettle mini kitchen in the Dining Room.  As far as I'm concerned most of the stuff from the cupboards doesn't need to go back.. but that's one I won't win.  I'm still steadily clearing the (integral) garage so that the 'Sparks' can actually work  in there to replace the old steam powered fuse box and add a couple more 30 A feeds.

And finally...  Earlier in the year I recounted how the builders of this place put the main 'soil pipe' and vent inside the house.  It runs down from the loo and dining room inside a massively oversized 'boxing', which I've always hated.  In Summer I chopped the pipe down in the loo and replaced the roof vent with an 'Air admittance valve' .  I've now decided that's going too and the whole soil pipe is going on the outside wall.    This will mean ripping out the boxing in the dining room and making good.  Easy....  :unsure:....   But today I need to dig out a Clematis 'John Warren' which some fool :rolleyes:  planted directly above where the soil pipe exits the rear of the house.  Still.. it's getting a bit tired and a move/replant may just revitalise it.  I bought it in 1974... 

'Before and after' pictures may appear in the next week or so.....

Col

15 hours ago, PeverilPeril said:

Lateral thinking Plantfit :cool:  1,  Remove tailstock.  2, remove tool post. 3 drill 7/16" hole in centre of rough wheel. 4, mount wheel on 7/16" tool post bolt and fasten down fairly tight so that it can just be revolved horizontally. 5, Assemble 2" dia hole boring cutter with 1 3/4" cutter inside to form a mill. 6, fit 'mill' in chuck. 7, Adjust cross slide so that centre of wheel is positioned in line with operators side of mill. 8, offer the edge of wheel to mill and turn wheel by hand. It's a bit slow because the hole boring tool is not intended for milling, so 2m/m cuts max. But it works :biggrin:

Must remember this configuration for those future occasions when trying to do apparently impossible ......................

Clever! I like it!

• Like 1

People watching just off the high street in Lincoln this morning,sat in the trike eating a banana and drinking water,I don't know whether I need to take the trike to the bicycle repair shop or the doctors, when some young people (probably students) walked passed me they said to me "wow,thats sick" and then they high fived me, I seem to have quite a few new friends in Lincoln city now, when I got home I made a cup of coffee and did myself a cheese burger,well I've got to replace some of the calories i used up triking to Lincoln and back,took some warming up as well this morning,it wasn't until I'd done about six miles that my leg muscles began to free off, must be getting old, anyroadup I've done close on 110 miles this week on the trike so I reckon I'll put me feet up this afternoon for an hour, thats my day so far, have a great day everyone and keep your head up high,after all you are Notts folk the best in the land

Rog

• Like 4

I take my hat off to you!

Do you ever go up Steep Hill on your machine? Be like the Hovis advert - just think of the run down.

I am always being told to warm up before a bike ride, but can never be bothered - let the first couple of miles do the job.

What coffee do you use to fuel up with?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, plantfit said:

anyroadup I've done close on 110 miles

Nice one Plantfit. It's a lovely feeling i'nt it when you are on your bike, going at your own speed, on your own and away from the maddening crowd. We are just going to get our cycles out within the next ten minutes. We have been watching the weather but have decided to risk it? It will probably be a bit slippery down by the canals so we wont be breaking any speed limits. Our rides generally go between 9/13 miles, so over a week, if we get out every day we do about 60/70ish miles.

Just discovered a back puncture on my bike so Chris will just change the £1 innertube  and be using one of our little bombs to blow it up, with out the hard work. We are on the lookout today for our Swan family. Yesterday we fed them and sadly it looks as if one of the Cygnets has been lost. There were five in the family, now down to four.

Have a chill out now PF, you've earned it. :)

• Like 5

carni, I gave up on punctures a while ago - too many Berberis thorns on the canal towpath to Redmile. I invested in some Raleigh Schwalbe tyres - Land Cruiser on the Trek, Marathon City plus on the Giant.

I also use Slime inners to protect the sidewall. In the last couple of years (touch wood) not one puncture. Not particularly cheap, but run for a long time.

Oldphil,Just regular Nescafe,half spoon of sugar,one spoon of coffee,don't think thats the secret to doing all the miles though,I think it's down to will power and bloody mindedness.

As for Steep hill,takes me all me time to walk up it and I think it would be suicidal to ride down it,

Carni,It's good to be out on the bikes or trike,good form of excercise,good for the heart and breathing,no inpact on the joints either,when you gonna get a proper bike? called a TRIKE I don't think them two wheeled things will catch on  thumbsup enjoy your ride

Rog

Arrived home at 4.15pm, registered just over 12miles. We made it home just as dusk fell. Bloomin' code, and achy thumbs? now just waiting for our Jacket Potatoes to finish in the combi cook oven, to be filled with home made Chillie con carni (That description sounds like me) and salad with 'Honey@Mustard dressing. Mmmmm.

Oldphil, Thanks for the tips, I will show my mechanic your post.

Plantfit, Trike, you say. After learning about a certain Trike rider dangling upside down with sticky Lucazade dribbling down the neck area, I think I might pass on that one.:biggrin:

• Like 1

You can buy innertubes with "slime" already in them or add your own, like oldphil said cost a bit more but fit and forget, slime is a self sealing compound inside the tube

Rog

I’ve had a nice quiet peaceful day having dropped my husband off at Midland Station at just after 7 this morning for him to catch a train to Twickenham to meet up with the boys and enjoy corporate entertainment and a cracking game of rugby.  I’ve been able to please myself all day ...... took the dog on a decent walk, messed about at home, took the dog another walk, then got the sewing machine out.  I used to do a lot of sewing but it’s been literally years since I did any, couldn’t even remember how to thread it up!   A lot of frustration but finally succeeded and watched England beat Australia at the same time.  Hubby is on the train back now and I’m going to meet him in Doctors Orders for a little refreshment later on, smile2I deserve it ....... 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Nice one Lizzie, a bit of "ME" time never hurt anyone, glad you made the most of it

Rog