Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

I don't know if it had a name, the tonic, but it was foul, tasted of iron if I remember rightly. I guess it did the trick though, I'm still above the grass!

A version of chlorodyne still exists as J.Collis Browne's Mixture but instead of the highly addictive opium , cannabis and chloroform, it consists of morphine and peppermint oil .

Along these lines something else you don't see any more, and even more recent (I used to have a bottle when I was in the trade) Angustoras bitters (Spelling is way out but it was pronounced like that) . It's poison, comes in a bottle wrapped in brown paper , every pub used to have a bottle as it was great indigestion relief, you dropped a couple of drops in a brandy glass, swished it round the glass, then tipped it away, the glass was then filled with water and knocked back in one. It worked by the way.

:biggrin: Camphorated Oil; wonderful stuff for rubbing on my children's chests when they had breathing difficulties - just a few warmed drops did the trick for a good night's sleep.

Almond Oil; wonderful stuff for rubbing around the ears of a baby/small child teething - just a few drops warmed did the trick.

Indian Brandy; just a few drops in warm water helped settle a turbulent tum. :biggrin:

PS: the above have either become unobtainable or difficult to find.............

:biggrin: Camphorated Oil; wonderful stuff for rubbing on my children's chests when they had breathing difficulties - just a few warmed drops did the trick for a good night's sleep.

Surely someone must remember the old song?

All together now (to the tune of 'John Brown's Body'):

John Brown's baby had a cold upon its chest

So we rubbed it with camphorated oil

Camphor, amphor, amphorated

You can still get Angostura Bitters - at least you can over here. There is a bottle in any decent bar!

They even have a WEB SITE!

• Upvote 1

Surely someone must remember the old song?

All together now (to the tune of 'John Brown's Body'):

Yes, remember that - I seem to recall there was a second verse involving John Brown's cow, but since this is a genteel site, we won't go there...

It is/was Katy , again a couple of splashes swilled and thrown.

I think they've realised that it's 'an easy to get hold of and I used it by complete and utter, utter fluke and totally by accident Guv honest!' poison and been removed. I certainly haven't seen it for a few years, I'll have to ask the 'mine host' when I next find myself in the 'wobbly water' shop.

Beefsteak according to the wiki it ain't poisonous unless you call 45% alcohol poisonous thumbsdown

Angostura bitters, often simply referred to as angostura, is a concentrated bitters made of water, 44.7% alcohol, herbs and spices,[1] byHouse of Angostura in Trinidad and Tobago. It is typically used for flavoring beverages, or (less often) food. The bitters were first produced in the town of Angostura (Ciudad Bolívar, Venezuela)

Medicinal properties[edit source | editbeta]

..........Angostura bitters is often incorrectly believed to have poisonous qualities because it is associated with Angostura bark (although it does not actually contain any), which, although not toxic, during its use as a medicine was often adulterated by unscrupulous sellers[10] who padded out the sacks of bark with cheaper poisonous Strychnos nux-vomica orcopalchi bark.[1][11]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angostura_bitters

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My husband is putting ear drops in twice a day, I told him, if you put some cotton wool in afterwards, they'll stay in better. Got me thinking, you used to often see folks with cotton wool in their ears, mostly for earache to stop the wind making it worse. Don't see it anymore.

Katyjay,

I was out in the cold wind on Wednesday and ended up with such earache. The only thing I could do was roll up tissue and plug mi tabs until I got home. It stopped the cold wind getting in. Yesterday I used Cotton Wool. Certainly did the trick! Gave my Hubbs a laugh as well. :rotfl:

• Upvote 1

What about glasses held together with elastoplast.

Often used to see kids with elastoplast over one lens too.