Nottingham pubs you really miss

I've related stories about Vera/Veronica to numerous people and the majority of them think I'm making it all up. It's good to get some confirmation of what she was really like.:)

• Like 1

One pub I really do miss is the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of bobbers Mill bridge. It was my local for yonks and I adored it. It had, at one time, a reggae night on a Saturday, which I love. I recall fondly, playing on the walls when my parents wend down there on a summer evening. I used to work at the Co Op warehouse over the road at Ascot Road and recall working Christmas eve and the works party was there. Admin girls who admired me from afar were not afar for long! 

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  I can recall the swings next to the outside loos in the car park at the side. They may have been gone by your time. Mum and dad would sometimes go there on a Saturday evening if they weren't going into town to Coleman's, dancing. 

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!  Life was slower then.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, mercurydancer said:

One pub I really do miss is the Wheatsheaf at the bottom of bobbers Mill bridge. 

7 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  

Not sure if I've ever posted this before. The early Wheatsheaf, the version before the one which later became McDonalds.

ouRl3uQ.jpg

• Like 2

I love that double bay-windowed house in the foreground, CT, but don't remember it being there when I was a child. Anyone know who lived there? Presumably, it's railway-related.

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I too have fond memories of the place, M.D.  I can recall the swings next to the outside loos in the car park at the side. They may have been gone by your time. Mum and dad would sometimes go there on a Saturday evening if they weren't going into town to Coleman's, dancing. 

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!  Life was slower then.

I can remember the swings but not the outside loos! 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

I love that double bay-windowed house in the foreground, CT, but don't remember it being there when I was a child. Anyone know who lived there? Presumably, it's railway-related.

Looking at old maps, it's always marked as being part of Bobbers Mill (which is the building in the far right corner) so I'd guess it was the mill manager's place.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

I seem to remember that the new build of the Wheatsheaf (I mean in the 1930s of after!) did incorporate that part of the pub. That was the original front of the pub, and that entrance was bricked up and became the gents toilet. The new build is the facade we see now as McDonalds and the entrance and front beer garden was at right angles, which we both know with great affection. I think it has always been a pub. 

Wheatsheaf 1937 "New version" with new road and bridge over railway 1937, presumably rebuilt to face the new road;

emDcoPt.png

And the bay windowed house definitely looks to be part of the Mill (1931), new bridge not yet open;

IuJKPql.png

• Like 2

Your first photo is the most informative, it shows from above what the Wheatsheaf looks like now and in the right orientation, ie straight up Aspley Lane. 

The house you marked in the second photo is on the other side of the railway line. You can just see the foot bridge in the bottom right, where the level crossing is. (Chap on a bicycle marks the spot) The house you marked is not the Wheatsheaf and I recall it from my childhood. 

10 hours ago, mercurydancer said:

The house you marked is not the Wheatsheaf and I recall it from my childhood. 

I wasn't suggesting that it was, it was in response to  Jill Sparrow / Cliff Ton's comments about it maybe  belonging to the Mill.

The second photo gives a much better view of the situation of the house and one I hadn't seen previously.

It was certainly gone by my time. A shame because it's a good building and they don't make them like that any more.

Is there a thread on good pubs to visit that are still around by any chance? 

Sorry for posting it in here when it is slightly off topic, new here :mellow:

The Plough in Radford is still one of my favourites. I will be in tomorrow! The beers are fantastic, as the brewery is in the car park. Try the EPA. 

Further afield is Dixies at Bagthrorpe, a real proper pub. I adore it

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 6:59 PM, Jill Sparrow said:

One would see friends from school sitting outside with their parents, enjoying a lemonade. Nowadays, they'd be overcome by exhaust fumes from the traffic!

No Jill, nowadays they would be in the pub with their parents knocking back vodka and red bull or running riot knocking folks food off the table.

What has gone on?? Where oh!! where has 

ONE OF BEST WELL KNOWN PUBS EVER Only to be replaced by The Slug and Lettuce WHAT AN INSULT   YES!!! you have guess it 

"""YATES""  Wine Lodge   

My first visit  to Yates was when i first started work and our boss took us downstairs for a Christmas meal.. 

There must have a name better the The Slug and Lettuce.

What an insult.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

The Slug and Lettuce WHAT AN INSULT   YES!!! you have guess it 

"""YATES""  Wine Lodge 

Exactly the same here in Wolverhampton Mary. The building here hasn't got the history as with the Nottm 'Yates Wine Lodge'. This one was originally a theatre, called 'The Empire Palace Theatre' it had some interesting architecture though, but nothing to compare with the grand buildings around Market Square.

'Slug and Lettuce' What an insult...........Agreed!!!!!!

The taking over of Yates Wine Lodges by the Slug and Lettuce must be country wide, the one in Newcastle has changed sometime in the last 2 months. The name is rather off putting, there is one in York which is decorated twenties style rather posh !!!!

On 11/26/2019 at 9:21 PM, mercurydancer said:

The Plough in Radford is still one of my favourites. I will be in tomorrow! The beers are fantastic, as the brewery is in the car park. Try the EPA. 

Further afield is Dixies at Bagthrorpe, a real proper pub. I adore it

YES

if any of our members has never been to Dixies  then go you will not be disappointed