Things you don't see anymore

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some folks only request information, which is fair enough by me. Maybe they don't want discussion, chat, banter etc. Different people want different things from a forum, and that's fine.  If

Things you don’t see anymore (times 2) A 1945 photo of my aunt, wearing a turban and scrubbing her front door step on Queens Grove, Meadows. She dug her heels in and refused to move when the

Posted Images

We have Harvest Festivals round here and the produce goes afterwards to the local Foodbank and homeless shelter.  
we don’t have ‘Church Parades’ anymore because the uniformed organisations aren’t affiliated to

any of the churches anymore (although some do meet in the church hall every week). 
Even the Guide Promise has been changed,  they no longer say … ‘to do my duty to God and the Queen’

All the uniformed groups, including the Army Cadets do parade on Remembrance Day though

it's the sign of the times MargieH

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know if someone has said this before but can you still get Friars Balsam. Mum used to give it to us on a spoon of sugar for sore throats.

• 3 weeks later...

Things you don't see any more.            

GPs

these are now an endangerd.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, PeverilPeril said:

I saw my GP yesterday. Got an appointment the day after Mrs PP phoned the surgery. His health has deteriorated since I last saw him so I gave him some advice!

- I kid you not.

Did you advise him to ring for an appointment to see a doctor?  :rolleyes:

On 11/23/2021 at 8:55 PM, mary1947 said:

Things you don't see any more.            

GPs

these are now an endangerd.

My wife's had had a painful thigh for a week or so and yesterday decided to ring the docs.

Reception said "we're only seeing emergencies and to phone again on Friday when there might be some more doctors on duty"  .

Mystery as to what they are all doing ?

"Just a moment I'll get the ladder!". Its obviously a 'photo shoot' but where did they stack them  at the end of the day?        

• 4 months later...

Decent crusts on any bought sliced bread regardless if it is from a local bakery or a supermarket loaf.

Whilst I am on about bread, which numpty invented those non-plastic (fibre/cardboard?) bread bag tags. I know we need to reduce the amount of plastics but if you are going to replace it make sure you come up with something that works.

On 11/5/2021 at 11:35 PM, philmayfield said:

You can now buy pork chops with a kidney in.

Don't really want to. I can't stand offal in any form. My grandparents used to love all sorts of it especially tripe and onions. When I used to go round to see them and smelt it cooking on the range I used to turn round and go home. The smell of liver and kidneys were just as bad. For me many a good hotel/B&B full English breakfast has been spoiled by black pudding despite me asking for it to be left off the plate.

• Like 1

Double Decker Red buses number 84 ......going to and from Sutton in Ashfield to Nottingham........

• Like 1

Yes thats right............seem to remember you caught it in town but couldnt get off until you were out of City limits..?

Same going into town...you could'nt get on inside City limits..?

Talking of Trent buses - as opposed to TrentBarton - one of my early memories is going to Mansfield on the bus from Nottingham. The buses on that route were Atlanteans (rear engined) when all the buses everywhere else were still the old style front-engine rear platform. Atlanteans seemed very futuristic and exotic back then.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There were signs on posts that said ‘Nottingham Corporation Protection Point’ or words to that effect. I remember one in Daybrook Square. It was so that the longer distance buses couldn’t poach City Transport customers.

There used to be a protection point at Forest Road stop on Alfreton Road. It was used for the 16A service from Balloon woods crossroads via Coventry Lane, Aspley Lane to the city. I have posted this before on a previous post.