katyjay

Things you don't see anymore

If I tell The Honest Truth, no Fibs and Porkie Pies,

Round these parts they are called Off licences or Out Doors. But I wanted to call it the name I remember from Home, and the only people who will know what I am on abaaht when I say "Beer Off" are you Nottstalgians. thumbsup

• Upvote 2

I have a large collection of old postcards, mostly sent by my Grandad to his Mother asking for her to send a parcel of clean collars to where he was working (for Boots) in the early 1900s. Occasionally I dip into the shoe box that they live in and pull a few out to read and look at the fabulous photos of mainly High Streets around the country. The reason for this ramble is because one postcard was sent to a relation and all it says on the address is THE BEER OFF, LONG EATON. Must have only been one there in those days then .....

• Upvote 4

Beer at home means DAVENPORTS

• Upvote 3

Kids collecting bottles to take them back to the shop for cash on the returned bottles

It took us a long time to realise the local kids were climbing our fence, nicking the empties from the crates and bringing them back into the shop for the refunds.

We both thought the other one was putting crates out with a few bottles missing!

We only found out in the winter with the footprints in the snow. They went from

fence to crates, back to fence and to the shop door!

We would never have done a thing like that when we were kids.....Honestly :P

• Upvote 3

Those bright green, yellow or blue socks, almost luminescent, that we used to wear with our drainpipes and brothel creepers/winklepickers/chiseltoes.

Beer at home means Davenports, thats the beer full of cheer, finest hops and malt and yeast turn a snack into a feast, straight from brewery to your home, why collect we'll deliver, then you hear the folks all say "Beer at home means Davenports" Or summert like that anyway :-0

What about the Corona soft drink delivery man (I was one)also wall ice cream electric van going round the streets. Bazza

We had a Davenports pub in Loughborough(The Warwick Arms) some years ago it closed after another brewery took it over it's been an Indian restaurant for some years but is about to become Loughborough's third MacDonald's

Student food? Our boys went to Loughbough Uni. We bought a house in the town when the eldest one started there and kept it for 9 or 10 years. We spent a fair amount of time in Loughborough during the summer, re-furnishing and general maintenance on the house. What we did notice was that the town centre was pretty dead during the summer, bit like Lenton and Beeston maybe?

I meant Loughborough Uni. not Loughbough, Hehe!

• Upvote 1

Prices of goods in Guineas (One pound, one shilling).

Those bright green, yellow or blue socks, almost luminescent, that we used to wear with our drainpipes and brothel creepers/winklepickers/chiseltoes.

Trevor, I think you mean yellow, green and PINK dayglo socks. Remember them well, I bet Chulla does too!

• Upvote 1

A left handed "Guzunder":

IMG_9674.JPG?gl=GB

• Upvote 1

Just what i need being a "KEGGIE"

in the 80/90 those socks came back in fastion brought my lads my younger son lee loved them but never wore two of the same colour one yellow one blue one orange one pink ect.

bazza just today i saw a pop man on the back of his opened sided van on the back it said the pop man the tradisional way saw it in hyson green followed it radford rd

Hills bronchial balsam

Owbridges cough syrup

Scots emulsion (war time thing)

milk supplied free 1/3 pint at school

somebodys wonderwool for aches and pains

Bazza the war baby